bathtub drum trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekee35

Reaction score
We have been living in this house now for 2 years. it's an older home....i don't know how old. but the bathtub is very slow draining....by the time you are done with a shower the water is about to your ankles, or deeper depending on how long you are in the shower.

at any rate it keeps clogging up. we use draino on it and that seems to help usually. but this last time 3 applications of draino did not work. i suspect it has a drum style trap and that it needs to be cleaned out. the problem is the trap is not accesable. it's either under the tub or under the tile on the floor.

is there anything that can clean out the drum, like stuff you put in your sewage tank or some othe kind of home remidy that can eat away all the gung in the trap?

we are going to snake it tonite to see if that helps, but if the trap has build up in it like i suspect i don't think snaking it is going to do any good.

thanx
--Angel

If it is a drum trap, you will have a lot of difficulty snaking it. Are you sure there is no way to access it from below the tub, through a ceiling? You can try Drain-care, by Zep for cleaning it. This is an enzyme product that clings to, and eats, organic matter. Takes a bit longer than caustic drain cleaners, but does work. Available at Home Centers and larger hardware stores.

No the drum is completely inaccesable. we had the land lord send the plumber out to snake it. well it cleared up the clog and the tub drains nicely now, but it still builds up a little bit during the shower....about ankle deep. but as soon as you are done in the shower it drains out with in a few mins. so the main problem is fixed. i am just going to try some enzyme stuff on it for a few weeks and see if that helps at all. if it doesn't then we are just going to live with the problem until we move. we probly wont stay there for more than another year or so. and if it gets cloged up again i will just have the land lord send out the plumber.

Latest posts

Back