Bathroom sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJV

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, I was hoping for some advice. We purchased the 1978 house about 8 years ago. It has a well and the water quality was poor at best, allot of metals in it. There was a pretty complex water treatment system in the house, however it was tired. We have replaced it and added a whole house carbon filter and still can't get rid of the sulfur smell. Oddly the smell only comes out of one facet, our bathroom, and only the cold water. It smells for about 5 to 10 seconds then disappears. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The anode rod was changed about a year ago, my hot water is generated in an electric hot water heater. The real confusing part is the smell is only in the cold water and only at one sink in the house.

The anode rod was changed about a year ago, my hot water is generated in an electric hot water heater. The real confusing part is the smell is only in the cold water and only at one sink in the house.
Pour bleach in the overflow of that sink. Treat it several times over the course of a few days.

You could even fill that sink up and mix in bleach and let it overflow into the overflow drain.

Of course if your sink doesn’t have an overflow this wouldn’t apply.

You need to shock the well, fill all the pipes with chlorinated water, let it sit a few hours, and rinse it all out. There’s probably something growing in the cold water supply inside the house plumbing.

Pour bleach in the overflow of that sink. Treat it several times over the course of a few days.

You could even fill that sink up and mix in bleach and let it overflow into the overflow drain.

Of course if your sink doesn’t have an overflow this wouldn’t apply.

If they have a sewage system, won’t the bleach kill the microbes used to digest the waist?

Back