Bathroom sink P-Trap not lining up to wall pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sensei

Reaction score
I got new countertops and installed a couple new faucets in the bathrooms. Some of them were fine, but I have one that the P-trap is not lining up to the pipe from the wall.
Home Depot guy suggested I get this flexible P-trap, but it is too tall for my space (even if I lower the P-trap off the tailpiece, the pic is a bit high still) and for it to fit the wall pipe, the other end of the P-trap would be off the drain tailpiece.

See pictures. I only have about 1" or so to fit it. I tried wiggling the wall pipe but that is too far for it to go.

What can I do easily to fix this issue? I'm not well versed in plumbing stuff, so if you have pics or examples, that would be best!

Thanks

IMG_0545.JPG

18526.jpg

Ideally you should get a shorter flexible P-trap (many different sizes available) - its best to take your p-trap with you at the store and then ask for something which can be used instead of yours + the extra inches that you need.

OR the easiest would be to get a flexible pipe (such as the image) and then make the p trap out yourself with the flexible pipe itself.

Note: flexible pipes are very prone to clogging and if you see a professional tradesman using them you should run away and never look back! but they are a quick fix for the common person.

r4.jpg

Last edited:
Don't use that flexible junk.

Did I mention that it was junk?

I would work some plumbing magic and put an offset before the trap adaptor. But if you don't want to get into cutting fittings out halfway inside the wall, you can use an 1 1/2" tubular compression 45 degree bend to make it work out.

OK. I feel slightly stupid, but I can't figure this junior high geometry issue out (I also want to do it the right way).
I bought what seems like all the different adapters at Home Depot...Can't make sense of the 45* elbows and what you guys meant by that... The only solution I see is to put the straight extender on the grey tialpiece, and then use the flexible j-bend to get to the wall pipe. So it'll hang much lower than my others. However, they are all 1 1/2", so that straight piece doesn't really go in to the hard side of the flexible j-bend very deep. I don't think I could fit a washer on that and the nut. Maybe I need to go 1 1/4" on that straight extension...

What am I missing? What other solutions are there besides creating an S out of a couple 45 or 90s from the wall...

You can also see the one picture shows that the flexible j-bend is too tall to work by itself.

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

OK. I feel slightly stupid, but I can't figure this junior high geometry issue out (I also want to do it the right way).
I bought what seems like all the different adapters at Home Depot...Can't make sense of the 45* elbows and what you guys meant by that... The only solution I see is to put the straight extender on the grey tialpiece, and then use the flexible j-bend to get to the wall pipe. So it'll hang much lower than my others. However, they are all 1 1/2", so that straight piece doesn't really go in to the hard side of the flexible j-bend very deep. I don't think I could fit a washer on that and the nut. Maybe I need to go 1 1/4" on that straight extension...

What am I missing? What other solutions are there besides creating an S out of a couple 45 or 90s from the wall...

You can also see the one picture shows that the flexible j-bend is too tall to work by itself.

This is a joke right??? Re-read the information the professional plumbers have already provided for free and please never, ever show us a picture of or even mention flexible tubular drainage pipe again.

This is a joke right??? Re-read the information the professional plumbers have already provided for free and please never, ever show us a picture of or even mention flexible tubular drainage pipe again.

Why would this be a joke? I'm asking for help because I don't understand how a 45* bend will help me and I've never done it before.

And, unless I'm incorrect, some people suggested the flexible pipe.

Also, you make it sound like the plumber's provided me a courtesy by not charging me for their advice on this free forum. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everyone's input (yours is yet to be determined), but I'm trying to figure out what a typical solution would be to this.

Hang in there friend. Hopefully, our very own McGuiver (frodo) will be on here shortly and draw you a crude picture so you could understand it better. I also got confused reading the proper fix on this as I am also not a plumber, but the pictures the professionals provide here are worth their weight in gold.

If you can't cut behind the trap adapter and use a 45 pvc elbow, then use the tubular or 45 compression elbow in your picture. My diagram it's not the best one but will help you understand.
8690a4d3fdda8a41ab5bf7f09f386b0c.jpg

2015-12-21_1656.jpg

Sensei, the reason you do not want to use the according looking thing
it 'is like a bag of ruffles potato chips. it has ridges
the ridges, are a neat little place for soap, hair, toothpaste, spit, to cling to.

every time you use the sink, another layer of ruffles builds up.
clinging to the ridges......thats not good

ridges bad...smooth good....ugh!!!

you will need a hack saw to fit the pieces together. the tube hanging down from the sink is a tad bit long

Last edited:
Sorry Sensei! I understand my comment came across as mean and I did not intend to dis-respect you. It's just even looking at accordian type tubular drainage fittings actually gives me a bad headache! Really. I am also sorry you received such bad advice at the big orange box store. The quality of plumbing advice salespeople there give out is wildly varied depending on if the salesperson actually has a clue. Follow Frodo's advice, he provided good drawings and almost always gives good advice. ;)

In my customer's homes though I get a big smile when I see accordian tubing 'cause I see work that has to be done and I get paid to do it.

You can do this!

That's OK SHR. It's hard to tell sarcasm on the Internet :) Your advice has been upgraded to helpful.

Now, that all totally makes sense - thanks for the drawings frodo - but my last question is how do I attach the threaded 45* elbow to the wall pipe (is that called the trap adapter?) which is also threaded? See pic. I can't really cut that pipe down cuz then I don't have anything to work with to thread a compression nut on. Or are we talking glue?

I imagine this layout:
threaded wall pipe
2" piece of unthreaded pipe with compression nuts on both sides
threaded 45* elbow
2" piece of the angled wall pipe to go down to
P-trap

But that seems like a lot of joints?

I'm a musician and this geometry/whatever design is beyond my brain power for some reason...
Thanks!

IMG_0588.jpg

remove the nut and pull the j bend out, cut off of the j bend a 2'' long piece. install this piece, back into the adapter
in the wall, install the 45 on the other end of the cut off pipe

now you have an adapter, with short pipe into a 45

STOP

take the trap and slide it on the tail piece coming out the bottom of sink

put the j bend into the 45, {YOU MAY HAVE TO cut to length the j bend } , swing the trap around to match up with the j bend
th

images (6.jpg

Last edited:
I'm back. I got strep and it hit my muscles weird and rendered me useless for a week.

OK. I cut a short piece, then my 45*, now I'm stuck again! The only solution I see is to flip the P-trap around and cut a very short angled down pipe section to go on the 45* (see pic, it's a bit tilted but that's just how I was holding it).

Anyone see another solution?

I can't slide the P-trap up any higher because it hit the stopper horizontal nub out of the tailpiece. So the angled down pipe won't reach. Cutting that tailpiece wouldn't do me any good then.

Thanks again..

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

Back