Bathroom sink drain leaking at wall after snaking.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slagathor

Reaction score
Hello, so since I bought my house my sink in the bathroom has had clogging issues. It was one of the first things I had to attend to after moving in. Extremely slow drainage that would take an hour to go below the sinkline. I bought a drain auger, took it apart, and cleaned what looked like a bunch of mostly biodissolved hair out of it. Put it back together, and it drained beautifully for 6 months. At which point it started getting clogged again.

So i took it apart again, cleaned it, and everything was fine again for about another 6ish months. It started draining slowly again recently, and I just accepted that this was going to be part of my routine maintenance. However, this time, after cleaning it and putting it back together. I can't stop getting it to leak at the wall.

When I run the faucet, everything will run perfectly for about 10-15 seconds. After which water will start dripping very fast right at the junction of the pipe that goes into the wall (should be clear in the attached pictures). It's almost as if the water gets backed up then is being forced back at me. When I take it apart there is quite a bit of standing water that I can see.

I figured I didn't clean it well enough... but even if that were the case it absolutely shouldn't be leaking if the drain is just clogged somewhere in the line? I replaced all parts that I could, including slip washers, and the same issue occurs. Is there anything I can do about this?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• 20201030_115128.jpg
    20201030_115128.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20201030_115133.jpg
    20201030_115133.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20201030_115112.jpg
    20201030_115112.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
The slip nut on the trap adapter might be bottoming out on the drywall before it is getting fully tight.

Or the slip joint washer is not sealing well.
The translucent ones are pretty stiff, I have found green ones at Home Depot that are a little squishier and sometimes seal better.

Maybe the leak is actually from the other slip joint right near there, and it is just running downhill to the wall where you are seeing it?

Maybe the extension tubing is cracked?

Maybe you have the extension tube too far into the wall, and the flared section is partly inside the slip washer, so it is not positioned properly for a good seal?

And if too much of the extension is inserted, it can end up too close to the back wall of the tee, and not be able to drain properly.

Last edited:
I am using the green ones from home depot. I ran my hands along all of the joints while it was leaking and they were bone dry. The water is coming straight from the wall.

By trap adapter do you mean the 6" straight piece I have at the end? It goes straight into the wall and has about 2" protruding which is wider than the rest. The slip joint is quite secure to this, and the straight piece is brand new. I do find it weird that it just slides straight into the wall with nothing making a seal between it and the metal part. But it was like this before and never leaked.

I'm not sure about the extension tube being too far into the wall. I replaced it with one identically sized to the one that was in there before, and I simply slide it in until it hits the "flared" part and can't go in any farther.

The trap adapter is that metal nut right at the drywall.
That is supposed to squeeze down on a washer that seals agains the extension tube you are putting into the wall.

You are inserting it too far.
It only needs to go in about two inches, or a little less.

And you have to loosen that metal nut, clean out any crud right there and clean or replace the washer, then tighten the nut.

I'm not sure what washer is supposed to go there. There never was one, and googling just returns the slip joint washers that connect the pvc sections. I attached pictures with it only inserted about 2". It is very free to move in this position, and I can wiggle it around and rotate it quite freely. Which makes me think it doesn't have a seal? Is that normal? I will also have to cut it to make it fit the rest of the assembly again.

I have not tried doing anything to the metal nut yet aside from cleaning with mineral spirits and a rag.

Attachments

• 20201030_124828.jpg
    20201030_124828.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20201030_124834.jpg
    20201030_124834.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
The metal nut needs to be tightened.

And there is always crud sitting right there, so the nut needs to come off, the first few inches of pipe inside the wall need to be de-scuzzed, and the washer which the metal nut tightens down needs to be cleaned or replaced.

You got lucky before, the glop and slop in the drain gave you a seal, but a very iffy one.

You can put the extension pipe in like you have been, just don’t go all the way to the flared part.

And when the nut gets tightened, you won’t be able to easily rotate the extension tube.

It’s possible that the washer there might be damaged or gone.
Or it got pushed too far into the tee during previous repairs.

But meanwhile, take off that metal nut and assess the situation.

OK I think i found where I wasn't understanding you. I took off the metal nut and found the washer. I included a picture for anyone else who stumbles on this thread in the future. I took it all out, cleaned it, and degunked the inner pipe as much as possible. And this time after putting it together I TIGHTENED the nut. It only took about an extra 1/5th of a turn, but I felt it squeeze on the pipe. My theory is with the many times I've taken this apart and put it together I loosened it (or as you said there was a helpful layer of gunk sealing it). It's not leaking so far but I'm gonna watch it like a hawk for the next few days.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 20201030_140013.jpg
    20201030_140013.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
I'm glad it seems to have stopped the leak. I also want to see a better shot of that tattoo on your left arm. What I can see looks pretty cool. (I know, completely unrelated to plumbing, but it's neat).

Latest posts

Back