Bathroom Renovation Question about tub and shower drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaus2000

Reaction score
I am installing a tub where the shower was and a shower where the tub was. They are 8 feet apart. Can I use the shower drain 2 inch pipe and reduce it to a 1 1/2 inch for the new tub which requires a 1.5 inch trap.

The old tub drain which is 1 1/2 inches has to be taken out by removing 6 feet of subfloor in order to install a 2 inch drain for the shower. I am hoping that I can spare taking out the other side of the bathroom floor?
Thanks

Attachments

• br.jpg
    br.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I’d use a 2” trap on the tub then reduce the inlet of the trap to 2”.

2” traps are required on tubs here anyway. Showers also require 2” if it’s new construct.

I have a 2 inch pipe now three feet from the new planned tub. If I now reduce it to 1.5 inches the rest of the way is that okay too. Code says I only need a 1.5 inch trap for the tub.

I have a 2 inch pipe now three feet from the new planned tub. If I now reduce it to 1.5 inches the rest of the way is that okay too. Code says I only need a 1.5 inch trap for the tub.

If that’s what your code allows then it’s fine.

It’ll be fine to reduce it.

It’ll drain faster with a 2” trap and be easier to run a cable through it if ever need be.

Last edited:
Back