Bathroom renovation in Indiana, questions about soil and vent pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spectie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance for any terminological weirdness, I'm from England and was brought up on building terminology there.

A bit of background: I'm just starting on a bathroom renovation, a bit complicated because it's the only bathroom in the house, and we're living here. A few of the main aims of the renovation are to make the bathroom bigger (so I moved a stud wall) and expose a window (that was hidden by a shower cubicle) and change the location of the access door (so I moved the door, currently it's in front of the toilet).

The plumbing is pretty dreadful at the moment, a mix of pretty much everything from 1940s onwards (cast iron, galvanised steel, PVC, PEX). There is a crawl space under the floor, with around 1½ - 2ft of height.

The main soil pipe is 4" cast iron, and and there is a 3" cast iron vent pipe running up the middle of the room (see Photograph 4 below). Going into that soil pipe is a 4" cast iron pipe for the toilet, and another branch is a 2" cast iron pipe that leads into a 1½" galvanised pipe that the shower waste goes into (via PVC). For the connection between shower+toilet and main drain see Photograph 3 below.

My plan is basically to have the vent pipe run up the SW corner of the room and the toilet in the NW corner (see Figure 1). I'd like to plumb the toilet into the old toilet pipe by using a Fernco coupling, and then 4" PVC from that position to the toilet flange. It's about 5 foot length, so at ¼ per foot I'll need a 1¼ inch drop, this shouldn't be a problem.

The vent pipe I would like to run up the SW corner wall and plumb in with again a Fernco coupling and 3" PVC pipe. I'd like to run the bath waste into this using a sanitary tee.

The basin I'd like to run into the same pipe as the toilet again using a sanitary tee. But I'm unsure of if this would give adequate ventilation.

I would like to avoid using the 1½ galvanised-> 2" cast iron branch because it's pretty rusty (I think there were leakage problems there before). The other pipes look in reasonable (given the age) condition.

According to IPC I think that a 3" vent pipe for the 4" drain is fine, but my two main questions are:

a) Can I run a horizontal section of the vent pipe from the old location to the SW corner?

b) Can the basin waste be plumbed in below the toilet waste using a sanitary tee? Or is this a bad idea? I could also run it into the same vent pipe, the space is small and PVC pipe is relatively economical.

Any thoughts, is there anything here in the plan that goes against the regulations/code? I would be surprised if the vintage stuff + decades of hacks passed muster, but I'd like to leave things better than I found them.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help you may be able to give. And I'm happy to provide clarifications or more photos/diagrams (I'm quite new to this, so apologies for my draughtsmanship!)

--

1. Plan of position of bathroom fixtures

20240331_214342.jpg

2. Approximate isometric bathroom layout with some notes (not to scale, I've not done this before!)

20240401_110017.jpg

3. Current connection for toilet waste

20240327_200928.jpg

4. Main vent pipe (ignore the plant matter and the galvanised pipe, I've cleaned them up now) :)

20240324_133325.jpg

Latest posts

Back