Bathroom musty smell - toilet sewage smell or crawlspace?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiltxan

Reaction score
I've always noticed a smell in the bathroom, I'm not sure if it's sewage smell or musty smell from the crawlspace from the base of the toilet.

I replaced the wax ring before. When I was replacing it, I noticed that the flange was rusty and broken, so I bought a kit from home depot and just installed it on top because I didn't want to replace the flange and metal. DANCO Perfect Seal Toilet Wax Ring with Bolts 10826X and the seal seems fine because I don't see any leak from the back of the toilet. Then I also caulked about 80% of the toilet, leaving 20% uncaulked in the back because I can't reach it. Before I caulked it I could always feel a draft from the base of the toilet. I still notice a musty smell in the bathroom whenever I first walk in.

Can the smell be coming from the crawl space? I have not noticed any leak whatsoever for the past 6 months from the back of the base of the toilet, but can it still be a small leak going between the subfloor and floor? Should I caulk all the way around the toilet then?

Thanks!

Ventilate the crawl space?
Many building codes require it to prevent mold & bacterial growth and wood rot. (Most likely the source of the odor, since you ruled out a leak.)

If you fit in the crawl, maybe kill the existing mold that's causing the smell by spraying the wood with a quaternary ammonium. (Restaurant supply houses sell unscented & some of the Odo Ban products have it but stink of perfume for a few days.) If the water closet did leak onto your wood below, it will kill mold and all except a non-enveloped virus (rare) and clostridium difficile.

I also suggest a 6 mil vapor barrier on the ground & a foot or so up the walls. Check with the local building inspector or a good builder for recommendations about the vapor barrier & venting. (Depends on the climate where you live, I think.)

A fun afternoon project? Not so much, but neither is replacing rotted joists & sub floors (or getting sick).

Hope This Helps
Paul

Crawl space is ventilated - it just smells like an underground basement or wine cellar, musty. I can crawl down to go check to make sure.

Is there anyway to test whether or not the odor is sewage? How likely is it that there's a leak around the wax ring (if I've never seen water come out from the base of the toilet)?

Thanks!

I tried to reach the place the other day in the crawlspace. I couldn't get to it (too many pipes, ducts blocking passageway).

The crawlspace didn't really have a smell and so the toilet smell is different than what I was smelling in the toilet. Is there anyway to tell if the smell is sewage from a detector (similar to how gas is detected with a digital meter/reader).

Also, now just debating if I should caulk the last 20% of the toilet towards the back, but want to make sure there is no leak I am missing. It's been close to a year without any signs of dampness or water that I can see in the bathroom. Thoughts?

Pour peppermint oil down the roof vent. Or have someone do it while you stay inside with all fans and ac turned off. Pour about $25.00 worth down the pipe followed by a quart of warm water.

What's the inside of the tank look like? Underside of the tank lid? I've seen some Nasty insides full of organic growth. Worth a cleaning if they show growth...

Back