bathroom keeps flooding...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carljay89

Reaction score
Last night my roommates threw a massive party and there was a line for the bathroom the whole night. Today I go to take a shower and there was urine in the toilet. Once I flushed, the toilet overflowed and flooded my bathroom floor, I used a plunger for at least 45 minutes and all it did was slowly drain the toilet back down to normal water levels. Air bubbles occasionally start seeping up also. Once I got everything cleaned up I took my shower only to realize that the shower is also plugged up. I have no idea what to do, I have the money to call a plumber, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Any information would be greatly appreciated :)

sounds like a sewer blockage. do you have a outside clean-out? should be a brass or white pvc cap in your front yard 4-6'' diameter? if so open it, if you are holding water at that point your sewer is clogged from that point to the city main. if it is clear or you can see the bottom of the pipe then your blockage is from there back towards the house. if you dont have a outside clean out you may have to pull the toilet. you can rent main sewer rodding equipment but really you should call a plumber unless you are familiar with main sewer rodding. i dont think a plunger will work, you could try a toilet auger that will extend to 6' but that is a long shot.

I disagree with it being a plugged sewer. If the sewer was plugged, the toilet would flush and the contents would come up in the shower drain. It would also come up in the shower when you used the bathroom sink. From what you described, that does not sound like what is happening. Try a closet auger on the toilet first. It might be related to the shower issue and it might not. If you can get the toilet working with an auger you might also resolve the shower issue or it might be a separate issue. When using a toilet auger, it is important to to turn and push (hard) to get the snake through those narrow toilet trapways. Be sure to keep the curved rubber sleeve at the bottom of the toilet bowl to avoid scratching the toilet with the metal auger. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone flushed a tampon down the toilet and it swelled up to massive proportions. Plumber came by and after he removed the toilet water/sewage went everywhere imaginable in my bathroom and he left without cleaning it up. Its been a few days and all is well. Thank you for your input :)

Back