Bath Venting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddocfletcher

Reaction score
Greetings, I have a liberty sewage pump up system in a lower bath. It consists of a pump sitting in a large garbage can sized container. A 2" vent which connects to the upstairs bathroom fixture vent line close to the stack. Currently the pump vent is about 14 feet long. I would like to move the pump laterally about 10 feet. Doing so will increase the the vent length 10ft. Will doing this have a negative impact on vent performance? Thanks.

shouldnt, but without sizing the system I couldnt say for sure... I highly doubt it.

Please explain the required pitch for vent. Part of the vent line will run underground horizontally before turning vertically.

I should note the upstairs fixture vents run horizontal to the stack, seemingly without any pitch.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

What vent runs under ground? The vent for the pump should come off the top of the tank.
Vent lines should pitch so any condensation in the line will run back to the drain. No vent should run horizontal until it is 6" above the flood rim of the fixture.

John

The vent will come off the tank top at least 6" off rim. I'd like to put a 90 ell on it and run the line horizontal until it meets the old tank location. There I can join it to the the existing vertical vent. Pitching the vent line & discharge line should not be a problem.

The vent will come off the tank top at least 6" off rim. I'd like to put a 90 ell on it and run the line horizontal until it meets the old tank location. There I can join it to the the existing vertical vent. Pitching the vent line & discharge line should not be a problem.

So are you saying the top of crock ( that's the term for the container your pump is in ) sits below grade level of your floor? Like John said, you should not have the vent from the top of your crock running under ground. How many fixtures drain into the crock? Maybe you're referring to a vent for a tub or shower, which should tie into the vent from your crock somewhere above the floor. Also, as John stated, the vent has to run up-hill from the crock to allow condensation or any other water to make it's way back to the crock. Otherwise water will pool up in the vent & eventually make it useless.

The crock is currently below grade with a vertical vent out of it. Currently the crock serves a toilet and sink. I will be moving it and placing it below grade at it's new location. It will need to have it's vent and discharge line run back horizontally to the original crock area to pick up the vertical vent and line to septic.

The horizontal part of the run I wish to be underground. I will be installing a bathroom from scratch. It is my intention to to have the drain lines from a toilet, sink, and shower drain to the crock. These lines will also be below grade.
I'm sure I can get the crock deep enough so that I can get the needed pitch.

^ again I find I must totally agree with john, this is one of those service nightmare calls.

"hi, poop and such is rising out of the shower and filling the tub" ( translation "pump not working or pipe obstructed" )
"no problem Ill be right over"

upon arriving we find that this fairly easy and not overly expensive job will run a huge bill, likely a couple grand.

Yep that looks a lot like my setup. Mine is made by liberty though.

I have what I would call a cement ring. It may be called a well tile. It's diameter is about 7" larger than the crock and it is perhaps 3"s thick.The ring is quite deep, perhaps 18 inch's or so. It keeps the soil from falling onto the crock lid. On top of that goes a cement lid. Access to to crock and lid very good. I had to get into the crock once to replace the pump impeller which had fallen off. The hardest part was removing the lid. It is at least 80lbs maybe more. I put the crock in years ago. Poor planing on my part. Moving the crock will put it where it should have been in the 1st place... An out of the way area in the garage.

The problem you have is you can't run the vent horizontal below the flood rim of the tank. If the tank should backup that would allow sewerage to enter the vent line and plugging it making the vent useless.

John

The crock is currently below grade with a vertical vent out of it. Currently the crock serves a toilet and sink. I will be moving it and placing it below grade at it's new location. It will need to have it's vent and discharge line run back horizontally to the original crock area to pick up the vertical vent and line to septic.

The horizontal part of the run I wish to be underground. I will be installing a bathroom from scratch. It is my intention to to have the drain lines from a toilet, sink, and shower drain to the crock. These lines will also be below grade.
I'm sure I can get the crock deep enough so that I can get the needed pitch.

I realize the crock is undergroumd. That's how it has to be. My question was, is the top ( lid ) of the crock also underground? Or is the lid even with the cement floor in which the crock sits?

Because the tank top will be 18" below grade it should be no problem to extend the vent line out of the tank vertical 6" and then turn it horizontal for 10', at some pitch where it will meet the old vertical vent.

Overhead is not a viable option.

Back