Bath sink drain leaking.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Chiu

Reaction score
Hi all,

Need help with a leak in my bathroom drain. I just installed a new sink faucet and this only started happening after the install.

I did have to cut off about an inch from the bottom of the drain tube mechanism that came with the new faucet otherwise it wouldn't fit. Would this be causing it.

Here is an image of where it's leaking. I hope this is simple fix.

full

sink-drain-leaking.705

Why do you have a glue trap. How did you make the connection from the sink tailpiece into the adapter on the trap. Did you use the 1 1/2" plastic washer. If that were mine i would cut all the glue fittings out and use a slip joint trap for maintenance and in case something falls in.

I don't know, and not really sure what you are even talking about. Lol

This was the way it was when I bought the house.

The washer you are talking about is it, white in color or semitransparent, goes around that sink drain tube, and under that cap I have circled? If that is what you are talking about then yes, it is there.

Come to think of it, about 2 years ago, there was a leak developed there in the same area and I did replace that washer, if it's the same washer you are referring.

I did replace it and leak went away. Could this be the same thing?

Sorry I didn't answer your previous question.

The sink tailpiece just slides into the adapter of the trap. the old drain piece was pretty much a straight tube so I could pull it out of the trap and though the sinks hole.

The new one's design didn't allow for that, and yes, like you said because of the glued trap fittings made my new sink tail piece a pain to install.

Which made me had to cut approx an inch off the bottom of tail piece. Also I was able to twist the entire trap a little which allowed me to slide the bottom o the tail piece into the trap adapter, then twist it back to proper position, which allowed me to pull it back up into the sink's drain hole.

The part where it allowed me to twist seemed like a threaded joint. Where it joins to the section going into the wall.

Is this where I can swap out my current trap for the one like you mentioned?

Which way is the washer facing? Is the beval facing down or up?

If it was me, I would back off that follower nut holding down the washer, rotate the washer, tighten the nut back down, pretty snug by hand. Say a little prayer. Try it. If still leaking, tighten a bit more.
It's the easiest thing to try initially, without going through a lot of work to replace it.
I shouldn't say this with all the professionals listening but if still no luck I would back it off again, smear a little silicon caulking around it and tighten the nut back on.
Guaranteed to hold or twice your money back.

Ok, I will try backing it off and reseating the washer. If that doesn't work then maybe i'll try the silcone method.

Thanks for advice.

Latest posts

Back