Bath drain removal tool

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiton

Reaction score
I am about to replace all the drain work in my bathroom as it is fitted with S traps and a hodge podge mix of ABS and 70 year old galvanized. I will need to replace the bath drain and worry about getting a 70 year old drain out in one piece.

Is the Ridgid internal wrench the best tool for the job?

It is about 8 times the cost of a conventional forked drain removal tool, but if it is the best tool for the job I will order one in advance of starting out.

thank you,

Is the Ridgid internal wrench the best tool for the job?

It is about 8 times the cost of a conventional forked drain removal tool, but if it is the best tool for the job I will order one in advance of starting out.

I use the Ridgid internal pipe wrench for tub drains because I have it to use for removing pipe nipples too. It works well although sometimes it is hard to get the knurls on the tool to grab the tub drain. For you I recommend the Rectorseal tub drain removal tool. I have also used it and it is much easier for a DIYer to use.

http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php/golden-extractor-tub-drain-tool/

I would choose either of these two tools over any forked or dumbbell type tub drain removal tool.

Last edited:
Thank you guys, never considered the Dremel approach, great tip.
SHR, I bought dumbbell style tool, brought it home and looked at it and knew it was not going to cut the mustard. I like having two plans of attack with this drain, I know it won't be easy.

Much appreciated.

The right tools may make this job easier than you fear. Good luck.

At 70 years old, I would use a Dremel with an abrasive cut off wheel just below the bottom of the tub to remove the drain.

I am almost ready to get this project going. It looks like I will have to move the cold and hot supply to reroute the drain and I have been waiting for some Uponor manifolds to arrive by mail.

Phishfood, if I can't just unscrew the drain and have to resort to cutting it off,
is it best to do this from the bottom side of the tub or just placing the dremel in the drain about 1/4 inch below the tub?

They just don't make things like they use to :(:(, it is made of brass and looks twice the thickness of what I see for sale today.

Back