Basement Utility Sink Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stateliner

Reaction score
Should I bother repiping this or is this "check-trap" open vent setup ok? 😂 I don't smell anything foul coming through...drain.jpg

Oh man, nothing about that pump is done right. Good that you don't smell anything, and it works I'm guessing.

That is terrifyingly wrong. How often does that pump run. It needs to discharge in the top of the sanitary and the vent needs to run up through the roof, or i believe tie in above highest fixture

That is terrifyingly wrong. How often does that pump run. It needs to discharge in the top of the sanitary and the vent needs to run up through the roof, or i believe tie in above highest fixture
Not all that often, maybe 10 times a month. Discharging to top of sanitary tee is fairly straight forward, but venting through roof is a major project. It's a small ranch with a single vent stack after toilet--no branches for kitchen or bathroom sinks which have studor vents.

While I'm at it, what's the best way to transition this galvanized piping over to PVC?

drain3.jpgdrain2.jpgdrain1.jpg

Or maybe that vent pipe in the picture on the right encompasses bathtub/showers which branch off at picture in middle, I honestly don't know how that should be done?

You cant use a AAV on a pump so you need to vent to air. You might be able to pop it out the wall. I have done that before with a screen on the piping outside to keep critters out. Why do you want to change all that cast iron, it looks solid in your pics. It would be a fairly large project for a homeowner.

You're right, it is pretty solid, there is some evidence of corrosion at a few joints, mainly at wall penetration which I wouldn't be able to fix myself anyway but no leaks--just anticipating future projects. The ideal solution for basement utility sink drain would be clearing the branch directly under the sink that original sink presumably tied into directly, and therefore getting rid of liberty pump, but I've had no luck with that. There's a floor drain about 5 ft in front of the sink that I was able to clean and works perfectly, but I can't get the original drain for utility sink to clear.

Back