Basement stool issue

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

millian

Reaction score
We have a basement bathroom. If you flush the stool once, with or without a "load", it seems to flush normal. If you flush it again, soon after, it doesn't flush well. It doesn't swirl. If you wait a couple of minutes it will flush again. It will swirl.
If someone puts a "very heavy load" in the stool it will back up and take several flushes over a period of hours in order to clear it out. A normal load won't do that, but it will slow down and not swirl for several minutes afterwards.
I'm thinking of either trying to clean the line myself with a rented auger, or hiring someone to do it. I've seen people augering lines with the toilet in place. Would this work? Or should I have a professional come in and remove the stool and have the line augered with a high powered device?
It has been in this condition for at least a year. Thanks in advance.

breplum

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Probably best off removing the toilet and having the line snaked.
This will confirm that everything is clear in the pipe.
There is a chance that the plumbing is bootleged (and not done properly) and does not have a proper vent.

millian

Reaction score
Yes. That's what I was thinking. Have the toilet removed and the line snaked.
How do I know if it's properly vented?
Seems like it's always been slow on the second flush. If you wait five to ten minutes the second flush works fine.

breplum

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
A good sewer camera down into the drain will allow evaluation.
The best camera will be a self-righting type that keeps up and down properly viewed.

millian

Reaction score
Hey. Good news! We had a plumber come by. Problem was the valve in the stool. We replaced it with a new FlowMaster and now it works great.
Cost me $40 and a little embarrassment but I'll take that outcome any day.

Latest posts