Basement drain & vent plumbing

Discussion in 'General Plumbing Help' started by coloradooilman, Jan 8, 2015.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1

coloradooilman

coloradooilman

coloradooilman

Hi,

I am new to this forum and so I may be a little slow on replies and getting things uploaded. My dad is finishing the basement in his new house in Weld County, CO and I am helping him. The builder roughed in the bathroom drains for a shower/tub, toilet, sink, and a cleanout (in that order from upstream to downstream on the main line). Due to the layout of the rest of the basement we are considering changing the order so that from upstream to downstream it will go sink, toilet, shower, and then a kitchen sink on the other side of the shower wall. I would utilize the cleanout drain for the shower with a wye so that the cleanout was still accessible. I have attached a drawing of the way I am considering plumbing everything and my biggest question comes in regards to the vents. I would plan to wet vent the toilet through the bathroom sink, and then add an additional wet vent where the kitchen sink would drain into the original drain for the sink. Am I thinking about things correctly?

P.S. - We would remove the P trap in the original shower drain since it will now be used for a sink and install one in the new shower drain.

Thanks,
    Matt

1798_001.jpg

2. Jan 8, 2015 #2

frodo

frodo

frodo

Just call me Macgyver Professional Supporting Member

try this Matt, see if you like it.

1798_001.jpg

3. Jan 9, 2015 #3

coloradooilman

coloradooilman

coloradooilman

Frodo - thanks for your response. Is the option you sent a required setup or just a preferred one? Is there something in particular about the my original drawing that does not work. In order to pipe a new drain into the main line we would have to dig up 15' of concrete and dirt to go from the main to the shower location. If possible, we would like to avoid doing this.

Thanks again, I appreciate your time.

Matt

4. Jan 9, 2015 #4

frodo

frodo

frodo

the shower you drew in, attached to the clean out. it has no vent. it has to have a vent.

heres why. put a straw in a glass of water, put your finger over the end of the straw and pick it up
    the liquid stays in the straw.....no vent. take your finger off the straw..VENT

or this. as long as its vented

1798_001.jpg

5. Jan 9, 2015 #5

frodo

frodo

frodo

In order to pipe a new drain into the main line we would have to dig up 15' of concrete and dirt to go from the main to the shower location.

from the clean out to theshower drain is 15'

if it is, that will not work at all, the longest your 2'' trap arm can be is 5'
    that is from the vent to the trap

1798_001 (1).jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  6. Jan 9, 2015 #6

coloradooilman

coloradooilman

coloradooilman

In my original drawing I was using the drain from the kitchen sink as a wet vent for the shower. The same way I am using the drain from the bathroom sink as a wet vent for the toilet. Does that not work?

I am aware of the maximum distances a vent can be from the trap. The 15' is the distance the drain would have to run from the shower in order to get to the main line. In other words, all of the drains in the bathroom are offset from the main line by about 15'.

Thanks again.

7. Jan 9, 2015 #7

plbgbiz

plbgbiz

plbgbiz

Professional Professional

Oilman,

There is a point when plumbing work goes beyond a DIY project.

With all due respect, your project crossed that line long ago. You really should have a professional Plumber rough in this system for you.

8. Jan 9, 2015 #8

frodo

frodo

frodo

1798_001.jpg your cant wet vent 15' period.

no way, you have concrete to bust my friend

plbgbiz is correct, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

give me a drawing with measurments

9. Jan 9, 2015 #9

frodo

frodo

frodo

something like this

read 908.1/908.2

1798_001.jpg something like this

Attached Files:

10. Jan 10, 2015 #10

coloradooilman

coloradooilman

coloradooilman

Ok, maybe I am not explaining myself very well. Again, I understand the maximum distances a vent can be from a trap and I am not trying to exceed those in any way. As well, in my very first post I mentioned that the rough-ins were already done by a "professional" plumber who did not take the extra 30 minutes to rough in vents before the slab was poured, so now I am trying to figure out a way to easily and properly vent the system. If I have to bust up concrete then so be it, but I am pretty sure my original drawing works and follows code. If it does not, then please explain to me why it doesn't. The 15' only came into question because Frodo’s first drawing/suggestion was to install a new drain for the shower to the main line instead of utilizing the existing rough in drain like I proposed. in order to do this we would have to break up about 15’ of concrete to get from the shower to the main line.

I have attached another drawing trying to illustrate what I was suggesting in my original drawing but in a different format. In the drawing, the toilet is wet vented through the bathroom sink drain/vent and the shower is wet vented through the kitchen sink drain/vent. Please let me know if this does not work.

Drain and Vent Design.jpg

11. Jan 10, 2015 #11

frodo

frodo

frodo

Mr Matt, Come on man, in all fairness. you show the main in your drawing directly under the bath piping. you do not show a 15' lateral

1798_001 (2).jpg

the 15' offseted line appeared in a later, updated drawing, that does not match the first one
    I would have never said to bust up 15' to get to the main line, there are easier ways of doing it

your quote.
    The 15' only came into question because Frodo’s first drawing/suggestion was to install a new drain for the shower to the main line instead of utilizing the existing rough in drain like I proposed. in order to do this we would have to break up about 15’ of concrete to get from the shower to the main line.

you have submitted 2 different drawings

the first drawing page #2 shows the lav tieing into the main line with a combination.

the second drawing page # 10 shows the lav, the end of the line with a 90 stubbed up...

which which is which????

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  12. Jan 10, 2015 #12

frodo

frodo

frodo

as per 1002.4 your shower has no vent, you will need to add one. i have draw a sketch that might fit your needs

either tie onto the co and vent up in that wall, if a wall

or bust floor, rerough

Drain and Vent Design.jpg

scan0006.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015