Basement Bathroom vent question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmaple23

Reaction score
New to this forum. Haven't searched around much yet, so I apologize if this topic has already been covered.

I moved into a new house recently. The basement bathroom is unfinished, but there is plumbing in the concrete slab for a full bathroom. I don't see any sign of venting - the walls in the bathroom are not finished.

There’s a pipe tucked in the ceiling that comes out from the main floor bathroom- see pic. Should I vent the new bathroom to this or would they have already vented it during the construction?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• F5F8EF34-7593-4571-8375-73E2CE956E79.jpeg
    F5F8EF34-7593-4571-8375-73E2CE956E79.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • 8B315E97-34A1-4BCA-BF03-30A4CBA50404.jpeg
    8B315E97-34A1-4BCA-BF03-30A4CBA50404.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 8133BFC9-1D0E-429E-A8E4-A85B1788C992.jpeg
    8133BFC9-1D0E-429E-A8E4-A85B1788C992.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
Big pipe is toilet. Little pipe can be dug out to stack a tee on lower than floor for tub then 45 out of hole and 45 into an imaginary wall. About 16” up off floor stack another tee and arm over for sink on same imaginary wall. Then take little pipe up and tie into the capped pipe coming thru upstairs floor. They did it just like I would have left expect for the abs. But hey it’s already in concrete. Flow with it.

I would assume the pipe in the ceiling is your vent.

can you back up, take a picture the plumbing coming out of the ground
is their another black abs pipe I am not seeing?

Thanks for the advice- yes another pipe to the left of the toilet for the sink.

Attachments

• 065CA81E-4A24-4A1B-8E89-0C6EA9D9FA2E.jpeg
    065CA81E-4A24-4A1B-8E89-0C6EA9D9FA2E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 6683511B-0B43-493E-A42B-E87C29D7D1BD.jpeg
    6683511B-0B43-493E-A42B-E87C29D7D1BD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Big pipe is toilet. Little pipe can be dug out to stack a tee on lower than floor for tub then 45 out of hole and 45 into an imaginary wall. About 16” up off floor stack another tee and arm over for sink on same imaginary wall. Then take little pipe up and tie into the capped pipe coming thru upstairs floor. They did it just like I would have left expect for the abs. But hey it’s already in concrete. Flow with it.

Any way to do this without cutting into the concrete? Wet vent?? Thanks for the advice. See pic above for whole bathroom with additional pipe. I want to do it right and not take short cuts, but figured it’s worth asking about.

Yeah no concrete needs removed. Just the dirt around pipe. The other pipe by toilet can be the sink too. Both little pipes will need to come up for vent. Frodo usually has good drawings. He might be working on it now.

Yeah no concrete needs removed. Just the dirt around pipe. The other pipe by toilet can be the sink too. Both little pipes will need to come up for vent. Frodo usually has good drawings. He might be working on it now.

Here’s what it looks like under the bucket...

Attachments

• 0FAA05DB-6B59-4EC1-AF65-CDB873063FB1.jpeg
    0FAA05DB-6B59-4EC1-AF65-CDB873063FB1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Here’s what it looks like under the bucket...
Yeah that’s gonna be tight. That would be what I would intend for tub trap. Might have to notch a little bit of concrete to get trap there. If that’s where you want tub. If you don’t want to chip a little concrete then you can build a 2x4 base just for tub and set trap in the cavity of base. Then you could go with either little pipe for tub. But Frodo getting you drew up. I gonna leave it to him. 2 plumbers will just confuse you and slow you down. What state are you in for code

Yeah that’s gonna be tight. That would be what I would intend for tub trap. Might have to notch a little bit of concrete to get trap there. If that’s where you want tub. If you don’t want to chip a little concrete then you can build a 2x4 base just for tub and set trap in the cavity of base. Then you could go with either little pipe for tub. But Frodo getting you drew up. I gonna leave it to him. 2 plumbers will just confuse you and slow you down. What state are you in for code

Not opposed to cutting into concrete - wanted to avoid cutting a trench though. Thanks.

The pipe comes up center of bucket. I would take my side cutter bit and cut pipe above bottom fitting about 1.25” up. Glue on a tee for trap then street 45 out of hole aiming toward valve wall. Once the pipe reaches valve wall. Cut and put in another 45 to make pipe run up plumb in cavity. Then connect to the sink vent and tie into that capped (hopefully vented) in ceiling. The size of trap and exact location of tub will determine where concrete needs cut.

There is a small millimeter of a chance that there is a trap deeper in dirt. Dig out a little more to make sure it’s just an elbow. I’f it’s a trap then assume the sink line vents it and stack straight into that pipe.

Here’s the measurements. Can you clarify where I need to vent from? The pipe for the tub/shower looks almost like it’s screwed into the fitting that I dug out. I haven’t seen a connection like that before. Obviously that needs a trap. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out- I will be donating to this forum.

Attachments

• DF6FC454-6E81-487C-85F8-550143C0F523.jpeg
    DF6FC454-6E81-487C-85F8-550143C0F523.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • A884A594-9FC4-4C29-9677-B1C565927843.jpeg
    A884A594-9FC4-4C29-9677-B1C565927843.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
that fitting looks like a 2 x 1 1/2'' bushing into the top of your trap
cut the top off the pipe, slide your ta[e measure into the pipe and verify it is a p trap
or a 90. you WILL be able to tell the difference

vent is going to come off the lav.

draft 1
6.5x552.JPG
the 15 1/2'' measurement and the 1 1/2'' come off the center of the pipe in bucket, this sets the tub wall where it needs to be. .if you do not like the location, the floor gets busted, and pipe moved.

at top left
3'' is a wall
24'' is a vanity
52'' is clear space for a door
32'' is a tub
18 1/2'' is from tub to your 10' measurement
40 1/2. is a 32'' tub plus the 18 1/2'' wall to the 10' your mark

The pipe comes up center of bucket. I would take my side cutter bit and cut pipe above bottom fitting about 1.25” up. Glue on a tee for trap then street 45 out of hole aiming toward valve wall. Once the pipe reaches valve wall. Cut and put in another 45 to make pipe run up plumb in cavity. Then connect to the sink vent and tie into that capped (hopefully vented) in ceiling. The size of trap and exact location of tub will determine where concrete needs cut.

There is a small millimeter of a chance that there is a trap deeper in dirt. Dig out a little more to make sure it’s just an elbow. I’f it’s a trap then assume the sink line vents it and stack straight into that pipe.

I cut the bath/tub-bucket pipe - it's holding water down there, so it's definitely got a trap!

that fitting looks like a 2 x 1 1/2'' bushing into the top of your trap
cut the top off the pipe, slide your ta[e measure into the pipe and verify it is a p trap
or a 90. you WILL be able to tell the difference

vent is going to come off the lav.

draft 1
View attachment 18611
the 15 1/2'' measurement and the 1 1/2'' come off the center of the pipe in bucket, this sets the tub wall where it needs to be. .if you do not like the location, the floor gets busted, and pipe moved.

at top left
3'' is a wall
24'' is a vanity
52'' is clear space for a door
32'' is a tub
18 1/2'' is from tub to your 10' measurement
40 1/2. is a 32'' tub plus the 18 1/2'' wall to the 10' your mark

WOW! I did not expect you to go to this extent! THANK YOU. This is really great. I cut into the bath pipe and there's water in it - so there's a trap. Looks like it's on to venting the sink pipe and framing walls. I can't tell you how awesome you guys are on here. Completely blow away by the response from you guys. Donating tonight.

took another look, i did not see the door

had to rework the bathroom, if you put the door where you show it
you can not have a tub, just a shower

6.5x552 (1).JPG
where the lav pipe comes threw the floor, it is not in the wall, suggest you either bust the floor and move or
offset back to the wall using a 90.
then cut the bottom of cabinet to accept the offset

6.5x552.JPG

Back