Barbecue natural gas line suggestions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontporch

Reaction score
A buddy of mine would like to attach a natural gas barbecue where a hot tub used to be. I am looking for suggestions for material and routing ideas
64C6E847-57CC-41E0-8BF4-DD775278B802.jpeg
That’s a picture of the yard and the barbecue might fit to the right of the path or might be placed to the left if there isn’t enough room

It’s a small Weber on wheels with an 8 foot hose.

I was thinking of replacing the 90 and part that extends from the wall with a valve and some kind of quick release fitting. There would be no extension from the wall that would beat up on the hanger attached to the basement wall

Another option is to go down into the ground and come back up on the other side of the path. No idea about depth or material type or what the hookup woul look like (attach to a wooden post?)

I don’t even know if there are all season quick disconnects where the bbq could be connected only when needed

Most BBQ stores carry Natural gas quick release connections. I routed my natural gas line into a preset outdoor kitchen at my old house, and utilized the quick release connection so I could keep my BBQ safe from the elements when not in use.

If you want the BBQ at the wall, then quick disconnect and shutoff valve are good. They also make real nice stainless steel box quick disconnect enclosure for a truly classy setup.
For underground, I recommend a licensed pro. Yes, a post with a nice box
1677353853962.png

My first thought was to avoid going underground and dealing with a 2’ deep trench and special piping and maybe some sort of tracer wire and just install a quick connect at the wall and see how well that works

I assume the existing pipe is 1/2”, and if so I need a suitable weatherproof valve, a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer and a 3/8 quick disconnect. All would be inline and point toward the gate. The grills hose would be connected and routed to where the grill is.

Any need for any change of direction in the gas line or a sediment trap?

Having the quick disconnect pointing down seemed like a good choice but the gas pipe already looks pretty low to the ground so I thought keep it all online

For another buck, I sure would install a sediment trap. Nothing worse than a clogged orifice!

I sure would install a sediment trap
Could that be satisfied by a tee after the valve that has a 2” pipe and cap

I am thinking the one with the 90 would work better

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Do it like this

Attachments

• 36095895-EC4F-4EA5-80A7-FFA2693A8190.jpeg
    36095895-EC4F-4EA5-80A7-FFA2693A8190.jpeg
    563.4 KB · Views: 1
All galvanized pipe outdoor right?

Actually after looking into this it appears that using black pipe and painting may be the way to go

Last edited:
Reviving this thread because my friend really wants to move the gas line underground to a different location and possibly feed two grills

From a quick read it appears that code will require burial of any gas line of 2’ along with a tracer wire of 8 gauge suitable for burial next to the line and grounded to a 2’ stake where it enters the ground near the house

Yellow polypropylene seems to be the most common material to use and it appears that the best choice may be kits containing the yellow pipe coils and elbows that get you from above the surface to the 2’ depth

I also have to consider capacity and there is a good chance the 1/2” line won’t be adequate.

Will keep doing research and updating here but wanted to see if I am on the right track

Back