Banging when opening/closing faucet...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you may have air leaking in your system, that's how you can have sound when opening faucets. water is moving and it reliefs somewhere before it gets its way out from your shower or else. you may have it in basement but there be no movement or sound there, because air travels and hit the joints when it reaches them. give it a shot

I was doing a little reading and found out that water hammer can occur when the city supply feeding a home
Has a leak allowing air into the system before going to the hwt. Perhaps this is why you hear nothing when you turned the tank off.

Sorry to see this thread so late in the game. The same situation can occur if you have a bad pressure regulator or if there is some debris inside it. Also look into any vacuum breakers that are on your hose bib valves.

make sure all the valves to every fixture are fully open. half closed valve cause turbulance and will cause the pipes to rattle. also check the pressure to the house. normal pressure is between 60-65 psi. high pressure can also cause pipes to rattle. i believe one of those is your problem

Back