Bad smell from dish & clothes washer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobD

Reaction score
We have a strong, mostly sulpher smell coming from the kitchen sink-drain, disposal side, most strong when the dishwasher is running.

Also, a similar funky smell from the basement laundry sink when the front loading clothes washer runs. In fact I just checked this out yesterday and it seems to be the wastewater being pumped out of the washer that stinks.

We've tried ice and lemons in the disposal, and vinegar/soda rinses in both the dish and clothes washer. Any ideas?

Bob

I get this same smell when I return to my vacation home after being away for a month or so. Could it be the putrid water from a non-used water heater like my situation?

Happens more than one might think, when the anode rod inside the water heater starts to go the water can become unbearable. Also using non high efficiency detergents in high efficiency appliances can cause the same effect, that's why they make cleaners for the new he appliances.

Well, The hot water is fine coming out of the tap and shower in all faucets in the house. Especially with the dishwasher, I think it's in either the machine, hoses, or disposal.

Feel the bottom side of the disposal rubber gasket for build-up which could give you a bad smell -- Pull P-Trap at laundry sink to check for build-up in trap and trap arm. If the p-trap and the disposal gasket is clean, you problem could very well be a anode issue. Do you have a water softner ? Check to see if the dishwasher drain hose is ran up higher than the bottom of you sinks

Last edited:
OK--many weeks have passed, and some issues have become clear. I fixed the kitchen sink problem by buying a new dishwasher! Turns out the 8 yr old Bosch wasn't heating much more than tap temp--probably allowing bacteria to survive. Turns out the element is house in a water supply pipe and not accessible for cleaning.

Now to the clothes washer--bad smell--sulpher, with the discharged water. Hot water doesn't stink at any other faucet in the house, so I doubt if it is the anode in the heater. It is a Frigidaire front loader, about 3 years old. Can there be somewhere where residual water not completely pumped out collects? It's not stinky in the drum--we wipe out the door rim after each wash and always keep the door open when not using.

There should be a filter on your clothes washer. Probably behind the lower front panel. Remove it and clean it out. May help.

Back