Bad piece of PEX??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neverknows

Reaction score
See picture below - had a leak a few years ago and the plumber replaced the section with PEX. Redoing my bathroom, and going to sheetrock here now (vanity covers this section), but noticed the color of one of the lines as having a yellow tint to it - whereas the other is more clear. Is this something to be concerned with??

Thank you,

Pex.jpg

Common for clear pex to turn color if exposed to sunlight, or if you have hard water the cold pipes will turn colour.

Hi Matt,

Thank you again for the help - I know it hasn't been exposed to sunlight in the house, since it was in the cabinet portion of the vanity - under the sink.......having said that, unsure of where it may have laid prior to being installed - e.g., in a van/truck. I don't believe we have hard water, since we are on city water versus a well (and that line is for the hot).....I do know that if exposed to too much sunlight it can cause the pex to crack/break so that was my concern - thoughts?

Hi Matt,

Thank you again for the help - I know it hasn't been exposed to sunlight in the house, since it was in the cabinet portion of the vanity - under the sink.......having said that, unsure of where it may have laid prior to being installed - e.g., in a van/truck. I don't believe we have hard water, since we are on city water versus a well (and that line is for the hot).....I do know that if exposed to too much sunlight it can cause the pex to crack/break so that was my concern - thoughts?

Municipal water can be hard, depending on the water source. Here in W(BY GOD)V, the water is hard.

There's nothing wrong with the pipe, it's the water inside pipe. The pipe itself does not turn colour, my apologies if the way I worded it made it seem that's what I ment.

It's true, most pex pipe when exposed to sunlight will go brittle. I was referring to the algae growth that happens to a clear pipe full of water is left in sunlight. Kind of the same thing like if you have ever saw the water coolers with the clear 5 gallon bottles. If left under fluorescent lights, they can get algae growth.

It's true, most pex pipe when exposed to sunlight will go brittle. I was referring to the algae growth that happens to a clear pipe full of water is left in sunlight.

Kind of the same thing like if you have ever saw the water coolers with the clear 5 gallon bottles. If left under fluorescent lights, they can get algae growth.

:eek:

...i did not know that...

THANX!

Thank you Matt30 and Kultulz - glad to know it is fine so I can have the sheetrock guy cover it and fix it once and for all :)

And didn't know that either Matt - kind of scary if you ask me about the algae growing in bottles!!!! LED lights only from now on!!!

Thanks again!

I'm not an expert on the subject, but it happened in the office in a place I used to work. It was pretty nasty. After it was covered over it was fine but we wasted a few bottles figuring it out!

Back