Bad day/interesting day stories

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll start:eek:

The day was going good. Meeting at the jobsite this morning with the new superintendant, Director of Construction for the GC, my Project Manager, etc, etc. They want us (meaning me) to come up with a way to provide them with temporary roof drains, which I do. I steer a lead toward my buddy who scans post tension cable slabs, he likes me, and so does the GC for connecting them.
Then, at 3 PM, my Project Manager calls me. One of our people was supposed to go do a service call at an apartment project that we completed early this year, but didn't go do it, and he was catching unholy heck about it. So he met me at an exit near the office with our company's idea of a sewer machine, and some fittings, as he didn't know just what I was getting into.

I knew about 2 problems, and after about an hour's drive, I got there about 5 PM. The first call was for a toilet that just wouldn't flush. Supposedly the maintanence guy had run a snake down the line, replaced the bowl, nothing was working. Nothing else in the bathroom was backing up, so I knew that the problem was really close to the toilet. I pulled the toilet, and brought in my K60 with a single 15' length of cable with a funnel retriever head. As soon as it turned the short sweep 90 at the base of the toilet riser, I felt it hit something. Spun the cable, and felt it grab something. I pulled back a water bottle.

As I am carrying stuff back to my truck and getting prepared to reset the toilet, I meet the maintanence man. He is getting a call about a water heater, and takes of to look at that. I chuck everything into the back of my truck as soon as I am done, and go to look at the other call, a leaking tub. Hey, I had a cookout planned tonight, I want to get home.

The assistant maintanence guy had tried to fix the tub, and had crossthreaded the drain. The waste shoe is plastic, and I am praying that I can catch the threads straight so that it will be a 15 minute job. But as soon as I unthread the drain and wiggle the shoe, it falls off. When we cut a hole behind the tub, we find that the sanitary tee was set too low and was not pointing directly at the drain, so the glue joint on the branch of the tee had popped loose when the "installer" had forced it over. After an hour of brainstorming and effing with it, I get a temporary fix in place that will work till the guy who is responsible for this job can get back out to fix it properly. In the meantime, the maintanence man's phone has died.

As I am carrying my tools back out to the truck, a guy pulls up and asks me if I am the plumber. Apparently, he is the tenant in the apartment with the water heater problem. He tells me that his unit is filling up with steam. The maintanence man walks out with the rest of my tools, I tell him we need to get over there NOW!!.

As soon as I hear the hissing noise when I walk in, I start looking for the breaker panel, to shut the water heater off. The college kids living here have a Jack Daniels poster hanging over it!

Longish story short, lightning struck this building a few weeks ago, and fried the water heater element, and stuck the thermostat open. The tenants moved in 2 days ago, and didn't have any hot water. The assistant maintanence changed the element, and left. The head maintanence guy misdiagnosed the tripped T&P valve as a leaking water heater, and came over to help me get the tub leak fixed. In the meantime, this water heater is continuously firing, and the water was literally boiling inside of this water heater. $50 dollars in parts at Home Depot, and I completely rebuild the water heater.

And at 8:30 PM, I leave for home.

Last edited:
I really love days like that. Mine not so much running from job to job but imagine hitting a 12" water main with a backhoe and flooding everything and then trying to find parts at 5 pm on a Friday to fix it.

The joys of being in construction. I wish I would have gone to college sometimes.

Sounds like you're the guy who "puts out fires" for the company, phish. It's a tough position to be in and you probably do it because you care more than most other people do. When the crap hits the fan, literally and figuratively, you're the go-to guy. Hope the higher-ups appreciate and respect what you do. Dedicated plumbers are hard to find.

OK, here's another one.

I have a real PITA job going on, kinda small, but chock full of problems and regular "emergencies". (Emergency means that the GC, architect, and engineer have once again failed to do their job, and now all of the subs have to rush around frantically trying to find materials with a 2 week lead time that need to be installed this evening.)

I have also been tasked to help out on a big project that we have going, a really big student housing job. I have been spending most of my time on the big project, just showing up at the smaller one every day or so when my plumber or the superintendent need me on site.

So today I have arranged to meet my inspector at the smaller job at 9:30, so I left the big job at 8:45. Met my inspector, he passed the drainage in the garage and for the 1st floor. But we still have some water mains that pass through the 1st floor that we just received direction on, still waiting on gas pipe sizing confirmation on some 2" and 2 1/2" mains that pass through the first floor, and have been asking for direction on some condensate drain routing. Plus there are some locations that the concrete floors need to be filled in so that we can install the fire stop materials.

GC wants me to get an inspection tomorrow, so he can hang drywall. I tell him I can't get inspection tomorrow. He demands I get inspection tomorrow. I tell him I can't, and explain all of the things that would need to happen to get an inspection. He starts ranting and raving about me needing more manpower. I explain to him that I have been asking him for direction and that he get some of the problems that are preventing me from moving forward resolved for months, when we had ample manpower, but now manpower is very tight, and I am struggling to keep a single plumber on the job. He threatens to call the president of our company, and I politely tell him to knock himself out, while thinking about helping him out with that.
I call my boss to let him know about the brewing storm. He informs me that manpower is currently not a problem, not since the other job I was on this morning is now shut down.http://www.cfnews13.com/content/new...icles/cfn/2012/12/3/concrete_slab_collap.html

I failed my sewer inspection today because my inspector refused to walk in the mud to see the line. It's been raining five days. He says to call back in a few days when things dry up.

So my grading inspector came out today and passed my storm drain then said I need to get the civil engineer and the soils tech to look at it before I backfill. Never heard such a thing.

Back