backflow preventer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmike

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I need some quick help if possible. I am trying to plumb a floor drain and sink in my bonus room that is in the rear of my townhome. When they were built, there was a slight grade at the back of the house, so there is a aprox 5-6 foot tall crawlspace under the floor. The room is behind the garage and main foundation wall. I went under to see if there were any plumbing pipes I could connect to and all I found was this...

IMG_0308.jpg

I looked up the fitting and it looks like it is a backflow preventer... but it isn't hooked to anything. Does this pipe go to the main sewer and can I plumb into it?

Thanks!
Mike

Ive only seen backflow preventers on feeds. Which would mean that they are feeding the house with water. Not to drain. But thats only what i hsve seen

It is a back water valve. It allows drain flow through it but if the sewer backs up it will stop it from coming out of the fixture it is serving.

That is what it is and what it's designed to do but it's not connected to anything. Before I connected anything to that line I would make sure of where it is going, and if will take the water your require it to.

John

johnjh2o said:
That is what it is and what it's designed to do but it's not connected to anything. Before I connected anything to that line I would make sure of where it is going, and if will take the water your require it to.

John

Agree. You could have a local plumber camera and locate the line for you.

I agree, it was weird that it wasn't connected to anything. I put a 90 degree elbow on the unconnected end and ran water down it for a little while and it is draining fine.... I guess the builder had anticipated that someone would eventually want sewer on that side of the foundation wall ;)

Thanks for all of the replies!

Latest posts

Back