auger head disappeared into drain =(

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udt123

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 50 foot auger that went all the way into the main drain and when I pulled it out, the head was gone. Is that going to cause problems or do you think it's out of the "drain?"

I once lost the head of my auger about 20' into my main line, and used another behind it and was fortunate enough to fish it out. If that head is still within your pipes, you can expect problems real soon. I would recommend spending the money and have a camera run thru your line to see where the head is at.

If you have ABS or PVC waste piping you are in luck. I once pulled a head out by taping a magnet to the end of the snake, it was only about 8 feet in though. It won't work in Cast Iron because the magnet sticks to the pipe.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Well, I actually rented the auger so basically, I would have to rent it again if I wanted to fish it out.

I was thinking of letting it clog and then calling a plumber when that happens? I have 4' pvc piping. Do you guys think that the head might have been flushed out!? Im praying somebody will say yes.

Thanks,

Darwin

I would say that would depend on why you were using the auger in the first place. If the head came off 15' into your line, and the cable continued past the head, then you will end up with even a bigger obstruction.

Latest posts

Back