Assistance with Commercial Toilet on 3/4" meter supply line.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Currently working on a small batch commercial brewery with 2 restrooms that I want to install commercial toilets that require 1" supply lines. The meter line coming into the building is 3/4". I want to run a long run 1" line 50' off the 3/4" line, will that supply enough volume for the Sloan Regal Flushometer 111XL? If not, is there another solution that i need to consider?

With only a 3/4” main line You’ll have problems.

Go with the flushmate toilet system from Gerber.

that appears to require a bowl, we were looking for a cleaner look, less places for people miss on and easy clean. Does the 50' of 1" line not supply enough?

that appears to require a bowl, we were looking for a cleaner look, less places for people miss on and easy clean. Does the 50' of 1" line not supply enough?
It all depends on your water pressure. The issue isn't the 1" line you are running, but the flow the 3/4" line and meter can supply. Contact the water company and ask them about the flow rate and pressure that line can supply. Tell them how many toilets you are installing, and they should be able to let you know if their existing supply line/meter can provide enough water for your new needs.

It all depends on your water pressure. The issue isn't the 1" line you are running, but the flow the 3/4" line and meter can supply. Contact the water company and ask them about the flow rate and pressure that line can supply. Tell them how many toilets you are installing, and they should be able to let you know if their existing supply line/meter can provide enough water for your new needs.
I'll get these answers, thank you.

No it will not work by installing 50’ of 1’ line fed from a 3/4 main that’s serving the rest of the building including another toilet, assuming you’re installing two toilets.

Yes, the toilets I recommended has a tank.

If you want direct flushvalve toilets then you will need to upgrade your entire water main and most likely a bigger water meter.

Remember the rest of the building must use the same water main from the meter so it’ll need to be large to serve the building and two direct flush valve toilets and a couple lavatories.

He’s only allowed 80 psi max. Save the call, it won’t work.

It will cause big problems and the problems might be intermittent.

The water company doesn’t know jack about sizing water pipe inside a building.

The volume of water will be the issue, they operate on low pressure.

A hack is to install a large bladder tank in the ceiling or near by closet to supply the volume but codes will never approve it and it’s not the correct way according to my diploma.

Last edited:
the city informed me it is 90psi. They can also up the meter to a 1". so I would be connecting to a 1" line at the meter. Would that be sufficient?

the city informed me it is 90psi. They can also up the meter to a 1". so I would be connecting to a 1" line at the meter. Would that be sufficient?

Not for the entire building with two direct flush valve toilets.

You’re limited to 80 psi inside the building so you’ll need a PRV before the pipe enters the building.

If someone is using water in the brewery and both toilets get flushed the massive pressure drop would cause the toilets to continue to run……..maybe for a long long time before they stop. Or if you flush both toilets at once they might not flush at all.

I suggest a 1.5” main water line from the meter and continue 1.5” until you get past the tee to feed the toilets.

Good luck to you ✌️

Last edited:
meter is 5' from building, Brewing will be done off hours, and i would be feeding the two restrooms and a hand sink at the bar. probably info i should have shared from the start.

meter is 5' from building, Brewing will be done off hours, and i would be feeding the two restrooms and a hand sink at the bar. probably info i should have shared from the start.

Go with 1.25” piping from the meter to the bar and bathrooms for the WIN ✌️

The water company doesn’t know jack about sizing water pipe inside a building.
Twowaxhack, I sure do wish you would read the posts before responding. I said absolutely NOTHING about asking the water company to size the lines inside the building.

What I said was, "The issue isn't the 1" line you are running, but the flow the 3/4" line and meter can supply. Contact the water company and ask them about the flow rate and pressure that line can supply. Tell them how many toilets you are installing, and they should be able to let you know if their existing supply line/meter can provide enough water for your new needs."

My comment was to tell him that the 1" line is not the issue to which he needs to address, but rather the line and meter coming into his facility.

And BriarHouseBrew said he was installing two bathrooms not two toilets. That is why I told him to contact the water company and tell them how many toilets he is planning on installing. As he says there will be a hand sink at the bar, there appears to be a tasting room for their beer selection. And as beer makes you urinate, the concurrent operation of multiple toilets/urinals is probably pretty high.

Twowaxhack, I sure do wish you would read the posts before responding. I said absolutely NOTHING about asking the water company to size the lines inside the building.

What I said was, "The issue isn't the 1" line you are running, but the flow the 3/4" line and meter can supply. Contact the water company and ask them about the flow rate and pressure that line can supply. Tell them how many toilets you are installing, and they should be able to let you know if their existing supply line/meter can provide enough water for your new needs."

My comment was to tell him that the 1" line is not the issue to which he needs to address, but rather the line and meter coming into his facility.

And BriarHouseBrew said he was installing two bathrooms not two toilets. That is why I told him to contact the water company and tell them how many toilets he is planning on installing. As he says there will be a hand sink at the bar, there appears to be a tasting room for their beer selection. And as beer makes you urinate, the concurrent operation of multiple toilets/urinals is probably pretty high.

The water company does not size water mains on the customers property.

3/4 copper should not flow more than about 10-12 Gpm before you exceed the allowable flow velocity of 3/4 pipe which is roughly 8 feet per second.

3/4” pipe will not work.

If he installs two toilets then he must have at least two lavatories. Hand washing facilities are required for a toilet room.

Water providers do not size your main nor do they guarantee flow other than the minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:

The only 3/4” line the guy has mentioned is his 3/4” main into the building.

In your post above you say :

“ The issue isn’t the 1” line you’re running, but the flow of the 3/4” line and meter can supply “

Yes that’s correct. Then you go on to say :

“ Contact the water company and ask them how about how much THAT LINE and meter can supply “.

Mr. man…….THAT LINE is the original posters main water line that supplies his building. It’s on his property.

The water company will not have an answer……..

But the whole damn point is mute because a 3/4” main isn’t big enough to supply a couple direct flow flush valves. In most places 3/4” main isn’t even allowed for commercial building much less one with direct flush valve fixtures.

This is the last time I’m going to take the time explain things to you. I’m simply going to place you on ignore, you’re not being helpful. You like to argue about things you don’t have any experience with.

He better not put more than two toilets in……….or it’s not going to work 100% of the time and it’ll be a nuisance.

What will happen is intermittently all the toilets will get flushed eventually at onetime and they will all run forever because the minimum pressure will drop too low for them to turn off.

I’ve been through this in office building many times.

Before and after lunch when demand is high and street pressure is lower the toilets get flushed and they run and run until someone turns off a couple of them which increases the flow pressure and the rest of the toilets turn off. Then you have to turn the ones you have off back on.

Then randomly it’ll happen again when demand is high.

To help combat this you can install a large bladder tank. The bladder tank if big enough will take up the slack and deliver an extra volume of water to keep up the flow pressure and deliver the demand to close the direct flushvalves. The worse the problem the bigger the bladder tank needs to be. It’s a hack work around…….

I’ve had to do it in several commercial office spaces and it does work.

Years and years my boy

3/4” pipe will not work. There you go again implying something that I did not say. Where did I say that 3/4" WILL work. I said that the water company will tell BriarHouseBrew what their existing line/water meter can provide. It may be their minimum guaranteed flow, but they WILL tell him a flow.

If he installs two toilets then he must have at least two lavatories. Hand washing facilities are required for a toilet room. And there you go again saying he is installing two toilets, when he is clearly installing two restrooms. That is why I told him to count the number of toilets. And of course, restrooms do need a sink, never said they didn't.

LOL on the rainbow and Bud Light, but I think that is yours.

My Engineering and Project Management career has left me pretty well off, so I don't want our criminal president to give away any of my tax money to anyone who hasn't or won't live up to their financial obligqations. I worked my way through college, paid for every penny as I went, so I don't need any handouts.

3/4” pipe will not work. There you go again implying something that I did not say. Where did I say that 3/4" WILL work. I said that the water company will tell BriarHouseBrew what their existing line/water meter can provide. It may be their minimum guaranteed flow, but they WILL tell him a flow.

If he installs two toilets then he must have at least two lavatories. Hand washing facilities are required for a toilet room. And there you go again saying he is installing two toilets, when he is clearly installing two restrooms. That is why I told him to count the number of toilets. And of course, restrooms do need a sink, never said they didn't.

LOL on the rainbow and Bud Light, but I think that is yours.

My Engineering and Project Management career has left me pretty well off, so I don't want our criminal president to give away any of my tax money to anyone who hasn't or won't live up to their financial obligqations. I worked my way through college, paid for every penny as I went, so I don't need any handouts.

Simple question.

Why do you think the water company has a 3/4” line ? No one ever said anything about the water company’s line, you were referring to his water main which he stated was 3/4”.

His water main is his property and they do not size water mains.

I made a statement 3/4” line won’t work.

You asked him to check with the water company about THAT line……well THAT LINE is 3/4” …..there’s no point, it won’t work.

Two restrooms means two toilets unless otherwise noted. It’s the default answer. Good try

Back