Are these wood stains around pipes in the basement a potential plumbing red flag or issue?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nthpolymath

Reaction score

I believe they go to the second floor kitchen and bathroom. I am looking to buy this home.

I usually fix things myself. Is there any tests to perform?

Attachments

• 1695315412876.jpeg
    1695315412876.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 1695315427750.jpeg
    1695315427750.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1
I can't see a lot of detail since the photos come out small and fairly grainy. Home inspectors would use a moisture meter, but the stains could be from any era.
I will say that metal straps are not allowed in contact with plastic pipe under any circumstances...and a drainage tee on its back is not allowed...it must be a sweep fitting in horizontal position.
For all newbie homeowners: 1. Have lots of money put aside to keep up your dwelling...it all adds up.
2. In your offer, require the sellers to provide a good Home Warranty.

>>I will say that metal straps are not allowed in contact with plastic pipe under any circumstances...<<

I didn't know that. What's the reason for that?

Plastic moves considerably in heat cold cycles. Abrasion/cutting over long term I suppose why it is in the code.
And, plastic is required to be rigidly supported and hanging straps do not address that.
To hold plastic pipe in place up against wood, you can use 10 mil. tape to isolate the metal from contact.
They make rigid plastic pipe hangers.

Plastic moves considerably in heat cold cycles. Abrasion/cutting over long term I suppose why it is in the code.
And, plastic is required to be rigidly supported and hanging straps do not address that.
To hold plastic pipe in place up against wood, you can use 10 mil. tape to isolate the metal from contact.
They make rigid plastic pipe hangers.
https://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/PL_Tech_Man/Charlotte_Plastics_Tech_Manual.pdf
Page 45, special consideration #5

BD7A20DB-A3FD-4DBE-8ED7-22623346D27D.jpeg

Latest posts

Back