Are all bath faucets like this? Issue with silly stupid size supplies

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgilley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Six months ago, I pulled the trigger on a bathroom renovation that was a complete tear out. As part of the process, my wife selected the fixtures, but I picked the toilet ;)

Right from the beginning, we've had trouble with water flow from the vanity faucets. They are glacier bay home depot specials (hear me out). The use a snap together plumbing approach that appalls me, but the plumber seemed to tweak it to get reasonable flow - no more.

See attached image. The main connections are on the right. You have supplies coming from each faucet joined in a Y to the output. The light gray to the left and the right are the supply connections. The connection from each faucet is a bit tight to the Y connecter, so I've seen some crimping in this area. Even correcting that, the water flow is below average at best. I don't think I'm getting 25% of what my 30 yo Deltas put out.

Okay, I said, Glacier Bay is the cheap crap from Home Depot - might be the problem. So, I went down to HD to look at Delta, Kohler, Moen etc., and they are all using this cheesy snap together clipping system. Could still be a crimp in the line, but some questions:

1. I know years ago, the government started putting in flow restrictors to shower heads to conserve water. It's always been the first thing I rip out. Am I dealing with something like this crap again?

2. The main feeds from my plumbing I believe are 1/2", go through the cutoff valve to 3/8. From there, it looks like after the adapter to a 1/4" feed - this seems ridiculous to me.

3. The kinks between the valve and the output are easily due to too short lines. Any chance these snap on connections are an industry standard? I'd like to replace them with a longer connection to avoid the kinks, but something tells me I'm hosed.

4. Any recommendations for a fixture maker that does not have this issue? I guess I'm off to a real plumbing supply store.

thx

Attachments

• image_2023-08-12_122720905.png
    image_2023-08-12_122720905.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
Remove the aerators and see if the flow improves.

If it does then you have restrictive aerators or they have trash in them.

The crap they sell in the box stores is made cheaply and is being designed for tool less installation so any idiot can put it in. There is a serious compromise in initial quality and longevity of the fixture. If you turn the hot or cold on and then turn they other one on and the flow doesn’t increase any then you most likely have a clogged aerator or the pipe that feeds the spout is clogged. I would never install a Galcier Bay widespread faucet for a customer. It is a waste of their money to pay me to install something of such poor quality.

i used to carry in my truck no restriction aerators called mk 1001 that was male or female . i do not know what they would be called in the usa. people love them , i went through several a month .

The crap they sell in the box stores is made cheaply and is being designed for tool less installation so any idiot can put it in. There is a serious compromise in initial quality and longevity of the fixture. If you turn the hot or cold on and then turn they other one on and the flow doesn’t increase any then you most likely have a clogged aerator or the pipe that feeds the spout is clogged. I would never install a Galcier Bay widespread faucet for a customer. It is a waste of their money to pay me to install something of such poor quality.
"is made cheaply and is being designed for tool less installation so any idiot can put it in."

Yep, I guess click on connections are sort of okay, but you can clearly see they took short cuts. I would expect something like this from Glacier Bay, but as I said, even the higher end units are doing the same thing, even if they are sold in the BB stores.

As for the aerator, that's not the issue. I can remove it from the faucet and still have little flow. If I reach under and wiggle the line running from the valve to the center, I can improve the flow significantly. My theory is that they downsized the 3/8" supply lines to 1/4" to restrict water flow as well as save 10 cents.
They are guaranteed for life, so we'll see what they say. I'll keep this thread up to date.

Yup, when I replaced all my delta faucets, they came with those click or push on connectors.
Not sure how that come apart if they need to. Figure that out when they fail I guess.. or post a picture here saying how the &^%#&^ does this come apart ?

You may have debris from the water line or old stop valves that have clogged the hoses or internals of the faucet.

You may need to take it apart and clean it out.

Widespread faucets have been using hoses for over 30 years, nothing new. The hoses and tubing have gotten smaller but if you have decent pressure, it’s no big deal.

Yup, when I replaced all my delta faucets, they came with those click or push on connectors.
Not sure how that come apart if they need to. Figure that out when they fail I guess.. or post a picture here saying how the &^%#&^ does this come apart ?
You mention if you move the supply line it increases the pressure can you see if the lines are kinked or twisted they will do that if you don't hold against them

Back