Apline boiler system piping flushing and PH level help.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnDS

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an Alpine natural gas condesing boiler from Burnham, 95% efficiency. I have two hydronic heating zones on it that supply the first floor hydronic baseboard and the other supplies the indirect water heater. The boiler itself is piped out with a combination of copper and black pipe and pex(yes oxygen barrier). If I could do it again I would have done it all in copper. Anyway, the boiler is about 2 or 3 years old. After install, I only flushed it and checked the strainer a couple of times within the first year.
In the manual it says that the PH level should be between 7.5 and 9.5 which I had never checked either.

The manual recommends Fernox restorer for cleaning and conditioning and I was wondering:

1) Does anyone have any experience with this product?
2) Is it only used to clean and flush, or can you leave it in the boiler system?
a) If you are able to leave it in, does it balance the PH level to between 7.5 and 9.5?
3) Although there is a dramatic pressure difference in the indirect hot water heater between domestic piping and boiler, I am still not liking the idea of having a toxic chemical in the system. Is this Fernox stuff toxic?
4) My main plan is to empty the water from the boiler piping and add some sort of nontoxic stuff to keep the PH level in check. Is Fernox the answer?
a) If not, what is? I just want to make sure the system water is good and not damaging the stainless steel heat exchanger inside the boiler. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Nothing???

New Systems
Fernox Cleaner F3 or Cleaner F5 should be added before commissioning the system. Simply circulate Fernox Cleaner F3 or Cleaner F5 for at least one hour when the boiler is switched on, after which the system should be drained and thoroughly flushed until the water runs clear.

Existing Systems
Ideally the system should be powerflushed to remove any existing treatment and contaminant. Fernox Cleaner F3 or Cleaner F5 should be added to system water and circulated hot for at least one hour. After which the system must be drained and flushed until the water runs clear. The cleaning time can be extended to up to one week for hardened iron oxides and limescale.

For both new and existing systems, a Fernox TDS meter should be used to ensure efficient flushing by comparing the readings of the system water and mains water. The system is thoroughly flushed if the readings are within 10% of each other.

Protecting new and existing systems
In accordance with Part L of the Building Regulations, after cleaning with Fernox Cleaner F3 or Cleaner F5, add Fernox Protector F1 with the final fill water for long-term protection against corrosion and limescale.

All Fernox Protector F1 and MB-1 products are compatible with mixed metal systems, including aluminum as well as plastic pipes. For continued protection, check Protector levels annually using the Fernox Protector Test Kit or 60 sec Protector Check Kit and top up the level as required.

Protecting against mineral oil contamination
Hot water central heating systems can become contaminated by the mineral oils used to protect steel components i.e. radiators from corrosion during the manufacturing process and before installation. If the oil is not removed, rubber parts within thermostatic radiator valves, motorized valves and other fittings can become swollen, resulting in component failure. Oil can also cause pump seizure where the bearings become fouled.

New installations
The risk of failures can be eliminated by pre-commission system cleaning using Fernox Cleaner F3. Cleaning should be undertaken in accordance with the recommendations set out in BS7593:2006 . Commercial low temperature hot water and chilled water systems can be cleaned using Fernox HVAC Cleaner F3 . After which the system should be protected using F1 Protector for domestic or HVAC Protector F1 for commercial systems.

Existing systems
Clean the system using either Cleaner F3 or Powerflushing Cleaner F5 , drain and thoroughly flush before dosing with a Fernox Protector F1.

Where failures have occurred, the failed components should be replaced together with all similar components, as these are also likely to have been affected by the mineral oil.

Thank you very much.
1) Do you happen to know what PH level the Fernox F1 will bring the system water to?
2) How long will the Fernox F1 maintain this PH level?
3) Is the Fernox F1 safe to use with an indirect hot water heater incase of domestic water contamination?

Ok. They say that 1bottle of Fernox F1 can treat 100 liters which I think should be fine for a 3 bedroom ranch(1 zone plus an indirect hot water heater), but any idea approximately how many liters of water run through the system coil inside the 50gallon water heater? I dont mean the actual holding tank, Im talking about the coil thats inside which comes off the boiler that heats the 50gallons. I just want to be sure I am not over the 100liter limit.

Last edited:
Back