Apartment kitchen sink drains into bathtub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatShaw54

Reaction score
I recently moved into a circa 1950 apartment building. The previous owners of my apartment did a gut renovation. I noticed that when I drain the kitchen sink, the water spurts out of the drain in the bathroom tub. It's a little "eruption" which drains right out but leaves some dirt/debris behind. The kitchen and bathroom are adjacent and share a wall.

There doesn't seem to be a problem when water is flowing from the kitchen faucet; this happens only when I've filled the kitchen sink and then drain it all at once.

In case it's relevant, I will mention that the previous owners also installed a dishwasher. So far, no real problems with it, though sometimes there is a brief "hiccup" of water into the kitchen sink when the dishwasher starts to cycle.

:confused:

The bathtub regurgitation is grossing me out! Any advice I've found online relates to free-standing houses and not apartment buildings. I'd appreciate some advice.

Garden snake or rattler? Lol ... maybe my super can help. I hope the solution is this simple because I'm afraid the plumbing is just all wrong ...

Back