Any comments on this receipt?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just quoted a lady $1200 for a 40 gal gas 6yr Rheem installed.

She going to think about it. She better think quick, that price expires in 1.5 hrs. as I have a full week of work anyway.

She’s lucky I even called her back on a Sunday night but she knows my sister in law so I did.

It’s hilarious how people throw out names thinking it’s going to make the price cheaper. Knowing someone I know isn’t hard to do.,,..I know thousands of people after being in the business for years. Knowing a family member of mine doesn’t help me at the grocery store checkout or the gas pump.

People are stupid……
Wow, that's about 1/2 price in my area...

That price leaves me with $500 in about 2 hours work after materials are paid and fuel. The job is 3 miles away.

Cost of living is cheap here. My business license cost $88 🤣
Business license is $88.00...
Add in the cost of a permit.
And add a part of-
Your worker's comp insurance premiums, truck maintenance, truck insurance, truck license plate, business liability and equipment insurance, advertising, etc. Possibly even the cost to dispose of the old heater.

There sure are a lot of hands snatching a piece of that $500.00

Paul

Business license is $88.00...
Add in the cost of a permit.
And add a part of-
Your worker's comp insurance premiums, truck maintenance, truck insurance, truck license plate, business liability and equipment insurance, advertising, etc. Possibly even the cost to dispose of the old heater.

There sure are a lot of hands snatching a piece of that $500.00

Paul

I’m not required to have workman’s comp, I have no employees.

There’s no equipment to insure. I have tools but they’re not insured

I don’t advertise.

Scrappers will pick the water heater up for free.

I don’t buy permits for water heater swap outs. If the homeowner wants a permit pulled I would add the cost of permit. The city doesn’t inspect water heater swap outs, it’s a money grab only. I choose not to participate in that nonsense.

If it was an electric heater, would that have reduced your quote any ?

Electric heaters are cheaper, so my price would’ve dropped the difference in heater cost. Labor and misc. materials would stay the same.

1200 just feels way high for a simple water heater install. But then I have no idea what the normal going rate would be. You do get what you pay for.... and i begrudge you nothing, get what you can, just be fair....I do everything myself. Built my own house, drew the prints, electrical, plumbing, every piece of wood , I nailed , screwed or glued it. Made all the molding. Made the kitchen cabinets (solid wood) made 90 % of our furniture. I did buy the doors and windows though...
Only because I had no money to pay for the experts. Had to learn it on my own. When I get to old to do it myself, I have a son that will pitch in. (Today was patch a popcorn ceiling...that was a first)

1200 just feels way high for a simple water heater install. But then I have no idea what the normal going rate would be. You do get what you pay for.... and i begrudge you nothing, get what you can, just be fair....I do everything myself. Built my own house, drew the prints, electrical, plumbing, every piece of wood , I nailed , screwed or glued it. Made all the molding. Made the kitchen cabinets (solid wood) made 90 % of our furniture. I did buy the doors and windows though...
Only because I had no money to pay for the experts. Had to learn it on my own. When I get to old to do it myself, I have a son that will pitch in. (Today was patch a popcorn ceiling...that was a first)

My price included the water heater.

I’m not required to have workman’s comp, I have no employees.
With no disrespect meant, check your personal health insurance policy.
Per our state's insurance commission & the dozens of insurance agents with whom I spoke, no health insurance policies will cover injuries that occur while working, even if the injured is the business owner. Hopefully, your state is different.

Example: I am the sole owner of an LLC that is an Sub Chapter S Corporation. If I fall from a ladder or get a cut that needs stitches, my personal health insurance won't pay for diagnosis nor will they pay treatment.

Also, if you want lost-wage compensation for time that you're unable to work, you need to purchase worker's compensation or private insurance for that as well.

Should you happen to be of age, Medicare is a little different. They may or may not pay. If they decide to pay, there is a 120 day minimum delay to review the case, then a payment delay. They also offer what is called Workers' Compensation Medicare Set-Aside Arrangements. This is voluntary.

Vehicle insurance is a little goofy. If I'm going to & from a job site and am injured in a collision, the auto insurance company will pay medical and vehicle damage, plus my liability to others. If I'm injured in an accident while on the job (or injure someone or something) they won't pay anything- same if the truck is stolen. This includes going to get materials or on-site driving. (One example site that I frequent is the Ford Rouge Plant. You can rack up 20 miles in a day in that place.) I don't know if that is a state-wide rule or just a limitation of my policy.

Paul
PS: To cover materials, equipment & tools (not vehicle), my liability insurer (Selective Insurance) covers $33,500.00 for $188.00 per year with no deductible. That coverage is called an "Inland Marine Policy". An agent told me that if Detroit wasn't involved, the price would be about half of that.

Last edited:
If you ever find yourself bored, you will be welcomed with open arms at my house!

I just quoted a lady $1200 for a 40 gal gas 6yr Rheem installed.
Wow, for a professional licensed plumber that’s a very good price for around here. I only think one might (emphasis on might) find a handyman around here to do it at that price. I think it would be more like $2,000+ based on what I hear from others.

Wow, for a professional licensed plumber that’s a very good price for around here. I only think one might (emphasis on might) find a handyman around here to do it at that price. I think it would be more like $2,000+ based on what I hear from others.

Things are cheaper in the Deep South. Cost of living is cheaper.

I have total electric home, my power bill was $200 last month for a family of 4.

Water bill was $35

No snow days

Takes me about 2 hrs to install gas heater, 1.5 hrs for electric. Or faster……

Last edited:
I’ve installed two water heaters at separate houses and easily be finished by lunch so I don’t mind charging $500 Labor to install one. I like that deal.

Things are cheaper in the Deep South. Cost of living is cheaper.
...my power bill was $200 last month for a family of 4.
Water bill was $35
I get it. I don't think my utilities differ that much. Average electric bill, about $100. Average gas bill, about $60. Average water/sewer, $70. 3100 square foot home.
But we have an electric co-op. Up the street they have Duke energy, electricity nearly 2x.
Housing costs outrageous here but I think your average worker/labor rates about the same. $17-$25/hour for general laborers.

Back