Anti Siphon bib too close to wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog

Reaction score
My Florida house has anti siphon hose bib's on all exterior walls. Several are leaking and I want to replace the bib but there is NO room to cut or repair. Is there a repair panel available for this? I don't want to chip away the exterior wall without replacing it with something.

Thanks

Can you post a picture. What kind of wall is it. I get that a lot. They install the hose bib and then stucco the wall. Unfortunately you have to open the wall. I've had to open the inside wall and even cut out wall studs because the exterior was brick or decorative stone. Is the hose bib soldered on. Some times they are just screwed in. But if you can't get a backup wrench on the supply fitting you may twist the pipe in the wall. I seems like a simple job.
Installing a new female adapter on to existing copper can be really tricky.
you don't want to burn down your home for a hose bib.

There are also commercial style hose bibbs also known as wall hydrants that are recessed into the wall. They are larger and you would definitely need a pro to install it. But they sure do look fancy.

Can you post a picture. What kind of wall is it. I get that a lot. They install the hose bib and then stucco the wall. Unfortunately you have to open the wall. I've had to open the inside wall and even cut out wall studs because the exterior was brick or decorative stone. Is the hose bib soldered on. Some times they are just screwed in. But if you can't get a backup wrench on the supply fitting you may twist the pipe in the wall. I seems like a simple job.
Installing a new female adapter on to existing copper can be really tricky.
you don't want to burn down your home for a hose bib.

Here is a pic of what the bib's look like. It appears that I will need to chip away the wall to gain access. I can barely turn the thing on!! Looks like a job for a pro.

hose-bib.jpg

Last edited:
Can you open the inside wall.
That's buried pretty deep.
May have to open a good size hole in the stucco to be able to cut that one off and burn on a new fitting.
It might be easier going into the other side,
depending on what's on the other side.

That stucco is pretty thick.

Most newer house in FL are built with concrete block. And most of the time, the "cell" of block where the hose bib is will not be poured full of concrete. So, if the waterpipe in your house is copper, you can often chisel the stucco away from the hosebib, pull the hosebib away from the block, and cut the old hosebib off with a hacksaw. Heat the sweat collar of the old hosebib up and pull it off. Sweat a new male adaptor on, use lots of teflon tape (10 wraps) and some pipe dope, and CAREFULLY thread a new bib on. Do NOT overtighten it, as it is easy to twist the copper pipe. Push the bib back into the wall partway, and use some sand mix to patch the stucco.

If, however, your home is not block, or is piped in CPVC or PEX, you would be most wise to leave this one for a proffessional. And if you don't feel comfortable pulling on your waterlines, or sweating copper, you would likewise be ahead calling a plumber.

Think I'll leave this one to the pros. Just not comfortable using a torch near the house. The house is only 7 years old. Wish I had noticed it sooner. Thanks everyone.

I did a lot of house plumbing in Florida and all the outside faucets were soldered to the soft copper lines. This is especially true if the house is on a slab. The riser was in-between the studs though, so it can be done from the inside of the house. I agree that the person that did the stucco job got carried away.

Back