Anode Rod Missing - WH Replacement Needed?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenixFire007

Reaction score
We purchased a house a couple years ago, and I've noticed the presence of black flecks in the bathtub, and accumulating in our kitchen faucet. I thought maybe there was corrosion in the water heater, so I drained it but didn't see any signs of flecks in the runoff (only lots of hard water minerals).
During this draining, I discovered that there doesn't appear to be an anode rod installed. The pressure relief valve was installed in the top of the WH tank, and the side opening is closed off with a screw plug.

The house was built in the 70s, and the piping is copper in the house. At this point, I think the black flecks could only be coming from a corroded supply line, or a corroded tank.

Can I install an anode rod if the tank is already corroding, or will I need to replace the tank itself? I'd like to start there, and see if the flecks stop.

Thank you! Any advice is appreciated.

edit: The WH tank was installed in 2016, and is gas.

If you have stainless overbraided flex hoses or covered rubber flex hoses that might be the source of your trouble.

If you have stainless overbraided flex hoses or covered rubber flex hoses that might be the source of your trouble.
Thanks; I think we do. Might be good to start with replacing those. Still concerned about the lack of an anode rod; if you have any insight on that it would be appreciated.

Some water heaters have the anode built into the hot outlet. Some heaters do not have a serviceable anode.

You’d need to look up your water heater by model number and look at the exploded parts diagram to be sure or tear into it……✌️

Some water heaters have the anode built into the hot outlet. Some heaters do not have a serviceable anode.

You’d need to look up your water heater by model number and look at the exploded parts diagram to be sure or tear into it……✌️
Giving a followup in case anyone finds this thread later, and to give @Twowaxhack kudos.

Checked into my HWH model, and there are indeed models what have an anode rod and pressure valve on top. Without pulling it apart, I can't confirm, but since there was no rust that came out of the tank the last time I drained it, I assume that the rod is there and the tank is okay.

I did have 1 length of stainless braided flex hose; when I removed it it definitely was internally corroded. Since replacing that section with new copper, I haven't had any black flecks coming into the kitchen faucet, so that appears to have been the problem. It's crazy to me that such a short section of hose could be the problem.

Thank you @Twowaxhack , appreciate the help!

I did have 1 length of stainless braided flex hose; when I removed it it definitely was internally corroded. Since replacing that section with new copper, I haven't had any black flecks coming into the kitchen faucet, so that appears to have been the problem. It's crazy to me that such a short section of hose could be the problem.

It’s not the stainless, it’s the rubber hose on the inside that’s disintegrating.

Back