Anode Rod Brands?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo1915

Reaction score
I want to change my magnesium anode rod in my water heater. The Rheem parts list (SP11309C), shows a magnesium rod and it has a weld dot on the top. The heater is raised up and there is limited space up above the heater. So, I will not be able to buy an OEM, 1-piece, 44" rod, but will need an aftermarket, flexible anode rod. I searched the internet and found only 2 brand name rods, Blue Lightning and Kelaro. The other names, on Amazon, looked like off-brand, Asian name rods. Is one brand rod better than another brand? Does the brand make any difference? Or just go with the cheapest rod? Thanks for your input......

Hi. I am not a plumber but I have replaced a few rods in my lifetime. The name doesn’t really matter. As long as it’s the same thickness as your old one and the same length. Since you can’t use the OEM the two that you named are fine. If you use the cheapest one check it every couple of years just to make sure and you should be fine.

Back