Annoying gurgle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickG1967

Reaction score
Hi guys..newbie here. I tried searching but did not find the answer..since moving in last November there has been an annoying gurgling noise from the sump pump drain pipe every time it discharges. Worst part is it exits the house right under the bedroom so it's fairly loud. I checked where it drains and all seems fine with no noticeable blockages..any ideas on how to get rid of the noise or at least quiet it down somewhat? Thanks in advance.

You may have a bad check valve allowing water to drain back into the pump pit.

You might could add a vent if the discharge pipe is air locked after the pump shuts off. Or increase the horizontal discharge pipe size. 2 pipe sizes.

I’m guessing.

You could insulate and isolate the pipe from the structure.

Thanks for your reply. Some more info..I had a plumber in..he says the check valve is good. Accessing where pipe exits foundation will be difficult..behind a finished wall and underground on the outside. Can you elaborate on the venting suggestion? The pipe from the pump looks to be 1.5 inch ABS but where it ends in the ditch it's 3 to 4 inch big O pipe with a sock from what I tell.
Thanks again for any advice.

The larger pipe may be filling up. If that’s the case then this piping diagram wouldn’t help you.

It might not help anyway......but you could try it.

I believe your discharge pipe may be getting air locked after the pump shuts off. Like your finger over a drinking straw.

The manufacture is showing it to vent a pump basin but it should also break the vacuum and do it quietly.

https://ipsplumbingproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Studor-Sump-Pump_071420.pdf

Thanks..sounds like I may have to try digging where it exits the house and check there first..it is where the noise seems to be the loudest. Maybe where it transitions from abs to the big O pipe there is some blockage causing the larger pipe to fill? I am on a budget and trying to fix as cheaply as possible. Thanks again for your suggestions.

My sump system has exactly this issue - after the pump runs, it will gurgle for 15-20 minutes. There is a check valve at about 4' above the pump and the outlet piping goes up 9' to the ceiling, across a finished basement approximately 35', then down the exterior wall about 7' to where it exits the exterior wall. It takes quite a while to empty the piping due to the air lock.

There's no practical way to alter the piping in the finished area and I don't know that anything could be done in the utility area where the riser from the sump pump or horizontal piping before it hits the finished ceiling...

It's not onerous as-is, but I'd feel better knowing the water was free to evacuate the piping...

Back