air leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giwatcher

Reaction score
I have admired the expertise of the forum contributors for years and would appreciate advice on what is not exactly a plumbing question, but almost.:rolleyes: The threads around the chuck of my air tank leak air, even though I have sealed with teflon plumber's tape. Would pipe dope be better, especially a product designed for a water heater gas fitting ?

Is this to a quick release hose for the air tank, or the fittings connecting the air tank? I have a 25 gallon tank always filled with air, to blow out the garage, clean vacuum filters, etc. Occasionally mine will start leaking air, but it is usually from warn out quick release couplings. I will just wrap new teflon tape around the fittings and synch it down tight. I would not use pipe dope, but I'd have no problem using either Rectorseal or a white teflon paste.

Thanks to both of you "regulars". To answer you, havasu, this is the air chuck that screws on to the end of the hose of my 25 gal air tank, not quick release. Do you still think Rectorseal or white teflon paste will work better than standard teflon tape? I'm willing to try anything and play around, I just hoped this is such a common issue that everyone but me knows you can't stop an air leak with teflon tape, only good for water.

Teflon is fine for air if you apply it correctly. So is pipe dope and a combination of Teflon tape then a little pipe dope on top of that. Don’t over do either one

Two Whack is correct, but the reason I use Rectorseal is because the liquid acts as a lubricant, allowing me to get another thread on the coupling, and is also has sealing properties that the Teflon Tape does not have. It also looks cleaner because unlike those ugly strands of white Teflon sticking out of the fitting, the Rectorseal can be wiped clean past the threads.

Back