Air in Water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Marshall

Reaction score
Background:
We've had new water lines installed in our neighborhood. The water comes down from over 300' and we're at 40'. There are surely PRVs in line with that! The last hundred feet or so of the water line has been replaced. I have my own PRV which is set for around 60 psi and has been in service for a long time without trouble. So, other than the new lines in the street, nothing has changed. Well, except that the "project" included digging in my yard and my water line was severed / and fixed.
The people doing the work seem very capable.

In the last couple of weeks I started noticing air pockets coming out of the water valves in the house. It's similar to if the system had been drained, refilled and was clearing out the air. Clearing the air within the house plumbing has never been a problem during maintenance.

Now, not only are there big air pockets coming out of the faucets, the water is filled with tiny air bubbles. A fresh glass of water looks milky - at least for a short while until the tiny bubbles clear out. (The outside temperature has varied around 35-45 degrees F. The water reservoir is above ground).

It seems to me that big voids inside my own plumbing would have quickly cleared (as before) and certainly after a couple of weeks! And how the air gets into solution is a mystery to me. So, I would conclude that there's air in the water supply and that doesn't sound good! It might suggest a leak.

What might you think of this?

Latest posts

Back