Air in water line after install of water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooddude

Reaction score
I have a shop building located approx. 200' from my well with submersible pump.

Water treatment is located immediately next to well.

House is also about 200' from well.

I have a sink in shop that has worked fine until I installed a small point of use tank water heater. Now every time I turn on water there is air at faucet that spits air out for one quick burst and makes the faucet shake, then water flows immediately after. Been going on for 2 months, since water heater installed.

This does not happen in the house though and the is a 40 gallon water heater there.

Any idea why this happens?

Do you have room to put an expansion tank on the cold side coming into the tank?
Yes. But where does the air come from? Certainly air cannot get into the pressurized line. Is the water heater squeezing air out of the water????

Yes. But where does the air come from? Certainly air cannot get into the pressurized line. Is the water heater squeezing air out of the water????

The unit probably came with a manganese anode rod. Switch it out with an aluminum. The manganese rod is creating a gas build up in the tank, thus giving you the air spurt. If you out the water in a glass when it spurts air, you will probably find its a little murky.

Got ya. Let me investigate the type of anode it came with. Yes the water is cloudy when just out of faucet and it clears up in about 20 seconds.

Let us know what you find out.
Finally looked in the book. Yes rod is Magnesium. Looking now to see if there are options for aluminum anode. Book does not mention the option. It is a small 4.5 gallon Bosch unit.

I will get back to you.

Finally looked in the book. Yes rod is Magnesium. Looking now to see if there are options for aluminum anode. Book does not mention the option. It is a small 4.5 gallon Bosch unit.

I will get back to you.

Latest posts

Back