Air in lines

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas_Frank

Reaction score
Hello, I’m having an issue with air in my home water system that involves air getting into my lines, but it’s ONLY on one side of the house. I have a well and water softener.
I’ve run the furthest spigots from the well but the air seems to keep coming back. I’ve checked for leaks and have found none. The bathroom’s closest to the well don’t have the problem, it’s the other end of the home which includes a kitchen sink, water heater & laundry room. Also the outdoor faucets (4 total) have air in them also. My logic is since it’s only one side of the house I’ve ruled out the softener as well as the well itself (check valve etc) and the pump, which seems if it were one of those it would be the whole house, not just one end of it.
Since I don’t see a leak anywhere I’m looking for suggestions as to how air can be entering the system only at the one end of the house and what else should I check? Can a water heater draw in air somehow? A water spigot draw in air without leaking? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

How old is the pump.????,you could add a canister vent it's whats used on a hot water heat baseboard heating system, I've used one on a pool so the pump would never cavitate

How old is the pump.????,you could add a canister vent it's whats used on a hot water heat baseboard heating system, I've used one on a pool so the pump would never cavitate
Thanks for that - believe it or not as a last resort I decided to go out & check look at the check valve (in Florida code requires it be above ground at the well location) & found it sucking air at the Teflon tape fittings. Until I get a new one I sprayed some Flexseal so hopefully that’s the issue. Thanks again for your reply, I’ll definitely keep that in mind! 👍🍻

Oh sorry, to answer your question the pump is 25-30 years old, in decent condition though 👍

Texas law also states there must be a check valve above ground. But they also say you cannot have anyway for a vacuum to be pulled on an underground line. You can't have the one without the other. As you can see from the air sucking in, if that fitting or any leaking fitting was below ground it would also be sucking in fecal matter and pesticides. I even saw one above ground like yours one time in a chicken house. I could see it sucking chicken feather dust into the lines feeding water to the family. If you must have a check valve above ground to pass an inspection, just gut it so it can't work. They are not safe. The only check valve you want is the one down on the submersible pump. Any extra check valve above that can not only cause the water to get contaminated, but also causes water hammer on each pump start. As the water below is quickly pressurized it slams into the closed check valve above it, causing water hammer. Not only can water hammer cause noise and break pipe and fittings, but can be transferred all the way down and shatter the thrust bearing in the motor.

Back