After cleaning verdigris should I paint?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbull1

Reaction score
Just cleaned all the green buildup that was on both these supply pipes, using a combo of Acetone, 150 grit sandpaper, steel wool. I also tried the baking soda/white vinegar/salt mix which by itself did nothing, (The buildup appeared that bad). I did the best I could do. I talked to a plumber who told me that I should spray it with enamel paint afterwards. Would that be the proper thing to do? Problem is, there is no way I can get a paint spray can behind there to spray the backside of those 2 pipes. I noticed the same type of split pipe in one of my bathrooms that go into the ground, on those pipes are a black type coating, not sure what the coating is but my guess is this was done when the house was originally built 50 years ago. Should I paint, (Please suggest with what) or leave it be?

Clean verdigris.jpg

What is the goal of what you've done? If you want it to stay freshly cleaned it needs to be protected or it will oxidize.

What is the goal of what you've done? If you want it to stay freshly cleaned it needs to be protected or it will oxidize.
Yes I do want it to stay clean. I don't want that crap to eat through the copper, especially where that split pipe goes thru the floor.

If you really want to keep the verdigris from coming back, you have plenty of room behind that pipe to paint it with a can of spray paint. Hold a piece of cardboard to prevent major overspray and attack the back side of the pipe from both sides. You will get enough paint on the back side to coat the pipe well enough to prevent verdigris. You are just keeping air from making contact with the copper, and it won't take much paint to do so. I'd use a clear coat and keep the natural copper color of the pipe.

Why don't you just buy that split pipe covering and cover it with that.
That would seem to make sense since the split pipe in the bathroom has that black coating. The problem is I don't know what that coating is.

If you really want to keep the verdigris from coming back, you have plenty of room behind that pipe to paint it with a can of spray paint. Hold a piece of cardboard to prevent major overspray and attack the back side of the pipe from both sides. You will get enough paint on the back side to coat the pipe well enough to prevent verdigris. You are just keeping air from making contact with the copper, and it won't take much paint to do so. I'd use a clear coat and keep the natural copper color of the pipe.
Should I assume this might work?images.jpg

Just cleaned all the green buildup that was on both these supply pipes, using a combo of Acetone, 150 grit sandpaper, steel wool. I also tried the baking soda/white vinegar/salt mix which by itself did nothing, (The buildup appeared that bad). I did the best I could do. I talked to a plumber who told me that I should spray it with enamel paint afterwards. Would that be the proper thing to do? Problem is, there is no way I can get a paint spray can behind there to spray the backside of those 2 pipes. I noticed the same type of split pipe in one of my bathrooms that go into the ground, on those pipes are a black type coating, not sure what the coating is but my guess is this was done when the house was originally built 50 years ago. Should I paint, (Please suggest with what) or leave it be?

View attachment 44901
I’d leave it alone.

Yes I do want it to stay clean. I don't want that crap to eat through the copper, especially where that split pipe goes thru the floor.
Verdigris won't eat through the copper. It's just surface oxidation. Ever wonder why the Statue Of Liberty is green? She's not painted.

Your welcome to paint your copper if you want to.

Latest posts

Back