advice removing shower drain from fiberglass pan

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gozilla

Reaction score
hi there, i need to replace a shower drain that is leaking in a fiberglass pan. not sure exactly how to do it. most internet advice shows something where one unscrews the drain from the top side of the pan. there is no apparent way to unscrew my implementation from the top side of the pan. there is obviously a large threaded ring underneath, but it seems that maybe the whole unit was installed before the pan went in and then glued to ABS from below after the pan was installed as it would be very difficult to unscrew the ring under the pan from below. i've attached some pictures.

do i need to somehow try and cut the ring from below with an oscillating saw or dremel? or could i do this from the top?

any advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_163548.jpg
    IMG_20201101_163548.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20201101_165842.jpg
    IMG_20201101_165842.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
It's hard to see the pic of the above pic
Is there a round brass piece with slots in it (with threads)
sorry if its hard to see. difficult place to get to... there are no metal components. from the top, inside the shower, its just smooth ABS... again, on other drains it seems you should be able to screw this off but i don't see anyway of gripping it.

sorry if its hard to see. difficult place to get to... there are no metal components. from the top, inside the shower, its just smooth ABS... again, on other drains it seems you should be able to screw this off but i don't see anyway of gripping it.
On the under side pic is there something threaded butted up against the shower base

On the under side pic is there something threaded butted up against the shower base
yes, and it has 6 sided nut like appearance with hole here and there... but again, i don't see anyway of actually using any kind of tool on this unless i sawed more of the subfloor away. can i just attempt to cut this off with an oscillating tool?

yes, and it has 6 sided nut like appearance with hole here and there... but again, i don't see anyway of actually using any kind of tool on this unless i sawed more of the subfloor away. can i just attempt to cut this off with an oscillating tool?
That should loosen up but you will have to cut the price above the trap to remove

Looks like you have room to get an oscillating multi tool up into there, to cut through the retaining nut in two opposite places, at the edge.

A long narrow blade should fit up in there.

Harbor Freight sells a cheapo one for about $20.00, look for a coupon online also.

Cut the pipe below drain fitting. They do make a tool that goes over the pipe onto that nut and then
you can turn it out.

thanks again. yeah, i might try to cut it away first... just because that easier. there is no way to get a tool in there to rotate that nut unless i start cutting away the sub floor. but not leaving that out as a possibility.

sounds like my suspicion that the drain was assembled on the pan before it was put down may be correct with what i'm being told here.

Latest posts

Back