Advice needed to replace stubborn tub spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ealdend1

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to replace an ~8yr old rear-threaded diverter tub spout because the seal on the diverter itself doesn't work anymore. For some context, I have two bathrooms and have already replaced the same model once with no (significant) issues.

This time, when I try to unscrew the spout counter-clockwise with an 18" pipe wrench, it spins but doesn't get any looser! I'm afraid that over time with electrolysis and/or from hard water, the spout threads are somehow fused to the nipple. I absolutely do not want to unscrew the copper pipe inside the wall. What should I do??? Am I past the point of DIY?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Ethan

I'd recommend soaking it in a PBlaster overnight, or as some professionals have recommended, just surgically cut it off.

PB Blaster.jpg

You might have a slip on tub spout with an o ring seal. If so, there will be an allen screw that secures the spout to the copper tubing. It would be towards the wall, on the bottom. There will be a notch in the bottom of the spout that will allow you to access it.

If it spins like you state, it is not a threaded tub spout. Phishfood is correct, follow his good advice. Slip-on spouts are very common and often are the cause of problems like you are experiencing.

Back