Adding soil to avoid mound system??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjohns2vt

Reaction score
Land is in VT, frost line at 4 feet. I am curious if I am told that a mound system is required (due to inadequate soil depth), can soil (loam or other?) be added on top of the ground to make an adequate depth to place a traditional underground leach system instead of a mound system? Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't think so even if you had a pile of earth on pipe or what ever your trying to protect it's still in the weather,wind,rain,if it's buried below the weather elements, wind, rain,snow it's shielded

That's basically what a mound system is, but it has to be built to current standards. It's a little more complicated than just a pile of dirt with pipes in it.

So a mounded system is required if the field can't be placed low enough due to ground water separation or some other reason. So in your case 4ft of dirt, soil or loam is the minimum r value needed above the leach field to protect from freezing. Foam board insulation is an acceptable alternative to dirt. 1ft of dirt =1inch foam and a combination of the 2 works very well.

Latest posts

Back