Adding a toilet to the basement. Existing drain comes through floor.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSGR

Reaction score
I am buying a bi-level house with an unfinished basement. I am planning on finishing it. There is a laundry room with water and sewer lines for a toilet and sink. The sink drain comes up through the concrete floor. I have read that a S trap is illegal so I was wondering what my options are.

EDIT: The house was built in 1986 and I'm in Pennsylvania if that helps...

I assume it's the same drainage/sewer system from the upstairs bathroom, as you can see the pipe coming down (no drywall yet.) If this is the case it's definitely vented right?

If it is vented would an s trap be acceptable? And if not, why would they route it this way when the house was built?

I'm a total noob to plumbing and I am considering hiring a professional. I am handy in many other areas so I wanted to do it myself but not sure..

Last edited:
No that is not he vent. A vent would not have any drain water running through it. It would go through the roof or connect to another vent above the fixtures on the floor above. As far as S traps there not allowed.

John

Latest posts

Back