Adding a hybrid-electric water heater to existing boiler/tankless DHW system non-destructively

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maestro232

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a Rheem hybrid-electric hot water heater that I'd like to add in to my existing system in the best way possible given my unique situation. I currently have an oil-fired Dunkirk Empire II boiler with a tankless coil for DHW, but we are chugging through oil purely for the hot water because we have mini-spits (and wood stove) for our heating. We kick on the boiler hydroponic heat system maybe half a dozen times a year in the dead of winter for a couple hours in the morning if we're feeling lazy about a fire. That's it. So we are left with keeping the boiler up to temp year round for the hot water. Thus the hybrid-electric system.

But...now that I have it, I'm not really sure the best way to integrate it. I think ideally I'd want to remove the tankless coil from the system entirely and just have the boiler completely shut down for 9 months out of the year, then run it at the lowest idle temp possible for the coldest months of winter in case we want to pop the heat on briefly as a supplement, then just use the hybrid tank for all DHW needs. I'm not sure if this is possible or OK to do with the boiler. I'd rather not keep it running if I don't have to, even if turning it off then on once a year shaves a couple years off of it's life.

I am definitely a newbie on all of this, so I am looking for the best advice there is to be found on how to integrate the new system in and what to do with the old. I'm a little concerned about total removal and resale down the road, so I don't think that's the way to go. We only have our mini-splits in our bedroom side of the house, so a buyer might not take too kindly to having to heat with wood for the kitchen/living room even though we love it.

I'm happy to provide any specific details, models, etc..., but I figured I should keep things general to start.

Back