Acrylic chip patch ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludington

Reaction score
Like a first time DIYer, while changing out my shower head, I dropped my wrench.. and yes, I didn't put down a towel or anything to protect the tub. So I now have a chip. Checking online for what to use, there is a plethora of kits, but 100% of them have so many terrible reviews. Especially on color matching (we have an almond color) and application problems. So I come to the experts to ask, which product you would recomend. Would any 2 part epoxy work, where I could tint it myself with some dye or something.
Not a bad chip, just makes me feel like an idiot for not putting down some protection.

Always use protection. 😬

I have nothing helpful to contribute about patching or color matching.

Like a first time DIYer, while changing out my shower head, I dropped my wrench.. and yes, I didn't put down a towel or anything to protect the tub. So I now have a chip. Checking online for what to use, there is a plethora of kits, but 100% of them have so many terrible reviews. Especially on color matching (we have an almond color) and application problems. So I come to the experts to ask, which product you would recomend. Would any 2 part epoxy work, where I could tint it myself with some dye or something.
Not a bad chip, just makes me feel like an idiot for not putting down some protection.
Photo?

I recently removed the tile & drywall around a tub in a rental unit that I own and put a triple layer of blue tarp over the tub and its edge. One of the tiles fell and slid past the tarp and chipped the enamel, so I need to either patch it or paint the tub. Rustoleum has Tub/Tile repair kits in a few colors, but it's hard to say if it will be a good match. I called Rustoleum after using their one part spray epoxy for Tub & Tile on a sink because it's NOT glossy, by anyone's definition. I was also told that the two part epoxy can't be used over the one part, so I had to remove it. Sanding and Acetone took it off, but not without a fight.

If the two part epoxy holds on as well as the one part, it will be a good thing. However, after doing a test spot, it doesn't match the old color but it's not supposed to- it does flatten better than any paint I have seen, though.

Ace Hardware should have the Rustoleum touch up kit and they also have another brand- Por-A-Fix. I haven't used that, but I have seen videos on YouTube. Other brands are available, too- search for 'Tub touch up kit'.

Photo?

I recently removed the tile & drywall around a tub in a rental unit that I own and put a triple layer of blue tarp over the tub and its edge. One of the tiles fell and slid past the tarp and chipped the enamel, so I need to either patch it or paint the tub. Rustoleum has Tub/Tile repair kits in a few colors, but it's hard to say if it will be a good match. I called Rustoleum after using their one part spray epoxy for Tub & Tile on a sink because it's NOT glossy, by anyone's definition. I was also told that the two part epoxy can't be used over the one part, so I had to remove it. Sanding and Acetone took it off, but not without a fight.

If the two part epoxy holds on as well as the one part, it will be a good thing. However, after doing a test spot, it doesn't match the old color but it's not supposed to- it does flatten better than any paint I have seen, though.

Ace Hardware should have the Rustoleum touch up kit and they also have another brand- Por-A-Fix. I haven't used that, but I have seen videos on YouTube. Other brands are available, too- search for 'Tub touch up kit'.
Here is the photo, just a minor chip, just enough for a head slap...

Attachments

• 20231107_085524.jpg
    20231107_085524.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231107_085526.jpg
    20231107_085526.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
We've all done stuff like that, so don't be hard on yourself.

Some Ideas:
If you can figure out who the manufacturer is, perhaps call them. Kohler once sent me a jar of perfectly matching touch-up for a bath tub. It was thick like nail polish, so the divot filled in nicely. Brugmann did the same with epoxy spray paint for a fixture repair.

Plan B: Is there anywhere hidden on the tub from which you can get a paint chip? If so, perhaps try a real paint store for a computer color match. They will know the best material to fill & color the oops spot. I'd try an auto paint store first, then a place like PPG or Sherwin Williams. Skip hardware stores.

Plan C:
Maybe try an epoxy made especially for plastics so it'll expand & contract the same. You want one that gets surface-hard when cured. Ask PC-Products for the best product. (800 220-2103) They have all kinds of fillers & epoxys. Then, experiment with painting the patch to match.

Worst Case:
Fill with fiberglass body filler and spray the entire tub a new color.

I had this done at an auto body shop on a Kohler Greek fiberglass/acrylic tub after the wholesale dock guy accidentally dropped it. The rim flange broke off & there was a hole in the bottom of the tub. This was in the early 80's. It's used daily & is perfect.

Good Luck With The Project! It'll Go Well!
Paul

Last edited:
A repair has to be near perfect or it doesn’t do anything for me, I still see the defect.

I agree with Two Wax. These have served you well for years, and now, whenever you sit on the toilet, it will take you back to the day you made an error in judgement.

I did the same at my other house and decided to hire a professional, who used a form of Bondo, then spray painted a two part epoxy and made that bathroom look like new.

I know it is all relative, but at the time, the price seemed way more reasonable than tearing the entire tub out and replacing it

That's a lot smaller than mine, which also has the black substrate showing.

Look for Acrylic Bathtub Repair kit.
Well, that was the original question... which kit works the best.
But at this point, I don't think the chip hurts anything, so I may just leave it as a reminder ... even at 67, as two wax said...use protection :) , slips can happen....

Member @Zanne recently tried the DIY version to cover a chip in her tub, and she will admit it ended up looking like Seagull Poop when applied, and probably looked worse after trying that "quick repair" junk. Hopefully she will respond and tell you her story.

But at this point, I don't think the chip hurts anything, so I may just leave it as a reminder ... even at 67, as two wax said...use protection :) , slips can happen....
Never had to fix one in Acrylic or enamel but I have repaired gelcoat- it will take some searching but as long as there's no fiberglass exposed (if it has that), it doesn't need to be repaired immediately. You would need to fill it anyway and even if you can't match the color exactly now, you could make it disappear after more info comes your way.

I don't know how expensive it is, but perhaps a bathtub refinishing company is worth investigating. I've seen several complete tubs & sinks that have been done- recently and years before. They all looked perfect with no orange peel or sags.
Paul

I don't know how expensive it is, but perhaps a bathtub refinishing company is worth investigating. I've seen several complete tubs & sinks that have been done- recently and years before. They all looked perfect with no orange peel or sags.
Paul
Something to consider.... but probably more than I'm willing to spend. I may just do my own epoxy mix. I've joined some granite togeather and tinted the epoxy pretty well.
Something else to play with.

?!? Define "near perfect" for us. And here I always looked up to you for perfection.

Near perfect is when I can walk into the bathroom and not immediately see the defect in the tub even though it’s in view.

You could try appliance touch up paint. They have a few different colors on Amazon. Try mixing to get the color you need.

Latest posts

Back