ABS pipe fitting broken at concrete...ugh

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retseih

Reaction score
I think I know the answer, but am hoping for something ingenious.

I am currently doing a remodel of a salon which is primarily moving some doors here and there and opening up some of the walls. In the pedicure room, however, we are changing the height of the pedestal to 21" which involves demo of the old base and relocating the drain, which would be relatively straight forward simply maintaining the slope in the new drain location by adding a bit of abs.

....until, the ABS fitting snapped at the wye going into the floor (explicative or two, followed by please forgive me.) Looking at the situation it appears my only real alternative is to tear away the wall to give clearance to jack hammer out the fitting and replace it properly.

Any homeruns out there to try before committing to two days and who knows how many monsters lurking?

thx for your help, Dick

John,

The bottom of the fitting is flush with the concrete. In other words there is little to no pipe above the level of the concrete. One thought I had was to look for a rubber coupling similar to what you would couple cast iron with abs and use that to couple another abs fitting above the existing one. I will take a photo and post tomorrow. Thanks for your reply.

Dick

if you still have the hub from the wye or the 45 coming off of it you can cut the pipe to the hub on the inside in a few places and then use a flat head screwdriver to remove the remaining pipe... now you have a hub to glue into... you can also use a cheap dremel round sander bit to remove the pipe.

if what ypu have left is a pipe then use a bosch bulldog and drill all around the pipe to expose enough to glue a coupling on.... pics would help for sure, i doubt you need to do much if any jack hammering .

Splitting the broken fitting off of the pipe is usually possible with PVC, and it sounds as though Liquid has done it with ABS, so that would be what I would try first.

If the lowest hub of the fitting is above the floor, you can cut the hub flush with the pipe, then cut vertical slots on the hub and use a hammer and screwdriver to peel the hub off the pipe. You'll then have a piece of pipe sticking up from the floor to glue a new fitting onto.

If part of the fitting is in the concrete, then only thing you can really do is hammer the concrete and cut the fitting out. :D

Liquid/All Aces,

Thanks for your advice. I took it and was able to get enough of the pipe to put on a new fitting. I used a Bosch hammer drill then just crumbled the concrete around the fitting....been working ever since.

Dick

Latest posts

Back