ABS joint turned from yellow to white

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiton

Reaction score
I had a kitchen counter installer in about a year ago to install new kitchen cupboards. They sent a "plumber" to do the install, he used ABS over PVC.

One of the joints has turned from yellow to white.

I assume this will need to be cut out and replaced?
What causes the ABS cement to turn from yellow to white?

Thanks,

ABS cement is almost always black. Clear is available but seldom sold or used. If you had yellow or now white, the incorrect cement was used by their "plumber". If I were you I would just keep an eye on it for leaks.

Ummmm SHR I've been plumbing for over ten years and always use yellow abs cement y2 medium bodied and never had a leak the only time I've seen clear was on PVC cement used Manila on irrigation system nothing on sched 80 level .... Just saying

In reply to Kiton u most likely have a crack in ur joint or the glue was sparse or the fitting did not get a 1/8 to 1/4 turn when joined so there's has been a small leak which has calcium build up is my best guess or it's cracked in Any case replace it and yellow and cement is fine y6 is not the greatest as it's runny As heck

I spoke to a master plumber down the street last night about this and he said about the same as you Viking, adding that it could have been repositioned during the curing process. I made a test joint and after a short pause pulled the joint apart and repositioned it and tried to put it back together and the soup of the two pieces in the process of fusing together was white.

He also said start using PVC for drains, not ABS.

I cut the joint out and replaced it.

Thanks guys.

Ummmm SHR I've been plumbing for over ten years and always use yellow abs cement y2 medium bodied and never had a leak the only time I've seen clear was on PVC cement used Manila on irrigation system nothing on sched 80 level .... Just saying

The yellow must be a regional or country variation. Around here in Minnesota all ABS cement I have seen is black. I have never seen clear ABS cement either but worked with a Jman about 5 years ago who insisted it existed and was adamant he used it before and our company should use it because he hated the black stains on his clothes. He did not like it when the boss told him to quit being sloppy with the cement and he wouldn't have the black stains! In ten years I know you have alot of experience. I have 24 years and every week I seem to have new experiences and learn something new.

I have never heard of black or clear ABS cement, everything here is shades of a different yellow. I guess i learned something today!

Anyways. I wouldnt be too concerned if it changed color on the outside of the pipe if ABS cement was used on ABS pipe, and the can wasnt contaminated. Since you're not really gluing the pipe together, its a chemical weld. So inside the hub of the fitting, the pipe should be slightly fused to the fitting.

Schwartz ABS cement will turn a very pale yellow after it dries out.

Back