A Little Out of the Norm.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishScreener

Reaction score
Ok, Corrosion class was forty years ago.

Does anyone know why some waters dissolve the zinc out of brass and otehr copper alloys, and some don’t.

I manage forty or so, very small water systems. On some systems the bronze/brass fittings for pex lines get buggy and fail. On others they do just fine with no issues.

I wold like to figure out what in the water chemistry is causing the problem so I can determine which systems need what fittings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's gotta be either pH or conductivity (easily measured with so-called TDS meters). Not sure there's an easy solution either way, but start with those.

When I owned a car wash, the hi pH of detergent lines would eat through the brass fittings. I quickly changed all fittings, foam generators, and manifolds to stainless steel. Tubing lines were all poly, generally connected with John Guest push connectors. I believe those are acetyl plastic.

Note: Low flow velocities

Also stagnant conditions when the fitting is initially put into service.

Neat, thanks for the pointer!

/*
The source of aluminum oxide, without significant levels of calcium carbonate or silicon oxide, was unusual and may indicate corrosion of an aluminum component in the system.
*/
Probably the hot water heater anode?

/*
The water should be checked for pH and chlorine content.
*/
And we've come full circle. 8*)
That’s a possibility.

Back