A/C in garage question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildfig

Reaction score
I live in South Florida and would like to add A/C. The attic area above the garage does not have any insulation. Would condensation be a problem with running a portable A/C unit. I am using this to try and keep the temp controlled as I am storing a vintage Cadillac Allante in this garage.
The heat and humidity runs over 90 in the summer months. I am not keeping it ice cold in there, prob around 78-80 degrees. Also any recommendations about A/C units.
Thanks

The concrete slab may sweat but tjust cooling to 80 you may not have any trouble with that. Go lower to 70 and it may sweat.

Get a mini split unit. I have a Gree brand that works great.

You’ll definitely want to add insulation above the garage. Costco sells (so others do too) mini-splits designed for DIY installation. No fooling around with Line sets and charging.

The concrete slab may sweat but tjust cooling to 80 you may not have any trouble with that. Go lower to 70 and it may sweat.

Get a mini split unit. I have a Gree brand that works great.
Totally agree.
A friend, who lives in Palm Coast, just put a mini-split in his garage and he loves it. I lived in Miami for 35 years and can appreciate how oppressive the heat/humidity can be.

You’ll definitely want to add insulation above the garage. Costco sells (so others do too) mini-splits designed for DIY installation. No fooling around with Line sets and charging.
I looked at those but it just seemed sketchy.

I bought a vac pump and a vacuum gauge and all the other crap to hook one up.

Its easy but you have to have the right tools to do the job correctly. I spent about $600 on tools.

I ordered a Gree unit offline out of Florida. Comes precharged for up to around of 20’ lineset. So you run the tubing, flare it, connect connectthe joints but leave one loose.

Connect nitrogen bottle and dry the lineset out while removing all the air. Then make the final joint up tight with the tubing and head unit full of nitrogen. I pressure tested the system at this point.

Once it passed pressure test you connect your vacuum pump and pull a deep vacuum. I let it hold a deep vacuum for a few hours and then released my refrigerant into the system. It comes precharged.

It was 90+ degrees that day and it was pure satisfaction to have cold air blowing at the end of the job.

DIY’ing the job paid for the tools. I had a good time doing it. 🤓

Last edited:
Back