60/40 Lead Solder for Copper Pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenwoods

Reaction score
For my potable water lines I off course use the lead free solder. But for my heating zones I used lead solder. I've been using the 50/50 lead solder. In the past my success at leak free joints for large copper pipe with big brass connections such as ball valves or other big brass connections has not been 100% good. Some of my joints developed small leaks. So I thought I might have better success using 60/40 solder with its lower melting temperature for my big joints. In a couple days I plan on sweating a few of these big pieces. I do use the mapp gas to get a higher temperature. So I was just wondering if this is a good idea.

You would be far better off to use lead free solder. Not to mention the benefits of not having lead in your water supply. Lead free has much better filling capacities then 50/50 or 60/40 solder. When lead free first came out it was horrible as compared to 50/50 solder. But it has improved to the point that it is easier to use and you tend to have less leaks with it. It takes a little more heat but the mapp gas takes that right out of the equation.

John

When did lead free first come out? The stuff I have I bought about ten years ago. I actually have two brands and I'm not sure why I ended up with two brands ten years ago. One is Dutch Boy (Sn95% Sb5%) and the other Oatey and the information is worn off the label. A friend just sent me an email saying "Silvabrite is my favorite lead free, acting more like 50/50 than Lennox." Any other suggestions on a brand of lead free to use?

silver soldier that otey makes is Bomber, i love this stuff. easy to work with and ( not that it really matters ) anti microbial ( as is brass also ), silver is redilly absorbed by the body and is very good for you .

Back