4x4x3 wye or 4x4x4 wye with 3" bushing... Which is better?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkull

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. This one’s for the plumbing nerds (like me)… I'm working on the DWV plans for my total rehab house, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about which type of wye they like to use when transitioning from a 3" vertical stack to a 4" horizontal in the basement. In my last house, I used 4x4x4 wyes with 4” street 45’s and then a 3” bushing followed by the 3” stack. I never had any issues for 14 years, but I’m still curious if it’s actually the best way to do it. Maybe 5 or 6 years ago, I remember reading an article about the different ways water moves when it transitions from a 3” vertical pipe to a 4” horizontal versus a 3” vertical to a 3” horizontal. It discussed the wave that forms when the water hits the bottom of the horizontal pipe. As usual, my feeble brain can’t remember the valuable details (i.e. which transition scientifically works best), nor can it seem to find the article again on the internet. Whether any of you know about this science or not, I’d still like to hear your experience and opinions on this transition. Thanks!

Back