3 season room conversion to 4 season. Adding gas and plumbing.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF12_TDC

Reaction score
I have a 3 season room and I plan on converting to a new kitchen. The structure is sound and well made. The floor is a deck and it sits 8 - 12 inches above the ground. I plan on removing the decking to have closed cell foam insulation.

1. What are the Massachusetts regulations for a natural gas supply to the range and the hot/cold water and waste inside of a foamed floor?
2. Do the lines have to run in some sort of tube or can you foam right around the lines?
3. Is there anything else that I should be concerned with?

Thanks - Tom

Your gas main has to be big enough to support a new fixtureif it is you would have to run a new line probably 1" from the beginning of the gas main what ever you use PEX or copper I would insulate and it's not a good idea to incapsulate it in your insulation, you can't do this yourself Massachusetts is very strict only a lic/insured plumber can do the work
Your water main also has to be big enough ,1"for cold probably 3/4" for hot starting right at the hot water heater your local plumber can size it all for you
And tell wether it's fesable

…3 season room…converting to a new kitchen…floor is a deck and it sits 8 - 12 inches above the ground…Is there anything else that I should be concerned with?

That would be a big yes. I think the plumbing and electrical parts of the project would be secondary to structural. If I were you, I’d get a few quotes from licensed remodeling contractors and listen to what they say. Generally a licensed remodeler will pull permits and ensure that the structural part is done correctly. If you want to do the work yourself have a sit-down with the building department in your town/city and get their input.

Not that you’re selling your home tomorrow but remodeled additions are easy to spot in a home inspection and ones done without permits are big red flags, even though they may have been done correctly. Those things open up a whole litany of inspection issues that may significantly muddle up a sale, and if dangerous conditions exist must be reported to everyone. Now there’s a mess you or your heirs don’t want!

Last edited:
The floor is a deck and it sits 8 - 12 inches above the ground.
As Mitchell-DIY-Guy said, this may be a big deal structurally. If this is actually a regular deck with walls and constructed with posts, joists, and decking, then you do not have a foundation running around the walls. That would be a problem for making this into an extension of your house. Best check with some local contractors.

Thanks. Structurally is is very good. A nice post and beam construction. I am getting a licensed contractor, but I generally sub out the electrical and plumbing myself and wanted to know what I am in for before I get a plumber in.

Back